angelfish questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dq1275

Registered Member
Dec 16, 2009
New Mexico
i just got three angelfish the other day and have now clue how to take care of them. the first question i have is, are they an out going fish that likes to swimming around are do they just like to site around and not move. how do i feed them, i bought the frozen brine shrimp and they are eating it after it melts and goes to the bottom of the tank where it is harder to find. they aren't going to the top to eat the flake food. what can i do to get them to eat the flakes on top?

Kelevra24

AC Members
Nov 14, 2009
Some fish are just picky, where did you get them from? I had an angel that would only eat flaked food if I didn't feed it for about a week lol, it only wanted blood worms/brine shrimp. The angels I have kept are usually active compared to non active

cryeth_the_raven

fumbling towards ecstasy
Feb 10, 2009
CT
Real Name
Trev
Hi dq. Hope you learned an important lesson here. Try to research any animal you intend to buy before you buy it! Angelfish are wonderful fish to have and being a type of cihlid can be very curious and inquisitive fish. How big are these guys? Frozen food is fine but can be a hassle. Small pellets for cichlids are more ideal as they are probably used to these at the store from whence they came. They will eat the flake food as it absorbs water and falls- just a pinch though!

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
You should also know that, unlike their name, angelfish are not angels. They are truly cichlids and will spar for dominance, territory, mates and tp protect their young. I had a black superveil pair. The female became eggboung and perished. Her mate simply took the female from another pair by killing the male in battle. He is undoubtedly the king of his realm and pushes every one else around.

Charlie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store