Angels' color fades during the day

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
I was just wondering if it was normal for a silver angel's stripes to fade during the day. If I go into the kitchen at night, though, they seem to be more noticable. Also, I just started feeding them frozen brine shrimp and when they eat that, the stripes are more noticable then too. Just curious. :confused:

Ozark Joe

AC Members
Apr 9, 2004
FishFlusher, WA
Visit site
I think it's nothing to worry about. When angelfish are excited, in breeding condition, hunting, that kind of thing, their colors generally intensify. If they are scared, intimidated, stress due to lack of hidey places, etc., they may blanch and lose some color.

If they stay faded for weeks on end, but appear otherwise healthy (swimming fine, eating OK, etc.) think about adding some plants so that they can retreat as necessary.

But generally, fading is not a sign of illness. It may be an indicator of some other problem, which if left to go on too long, might cause health damage from the stress. So I guess what I'm saying is fading is a secondary reaction, and not, in and of itself, a problem. It's natural.

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I wasn't too worried about thier health, however, I would like to see more color in them. I'll try adding more plants and see if that helps. I was considering that before, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Again, thanks.

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Update on Angels

Added more plants and finally got a background put up. They were pretty reclusive for the first couple of days, now they seem much happier with the set up. Thier colors are more distinct and I get to see them more.

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
...Now if I could just get a bigger tank. Imagine how happy they would be then. :D

fishlvr

still doesn't have a clue...
Mar 29, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.abstractsync.com
I also have a silver angel and I've noticed it's stripes coming and going. Lately I've been adding more and more plants, so hopefully this will help mine as well. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store