Angels Paired , then spawned

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have raised angels before..but never really tried to get a 'Pair'
So I read up on getting how to get a pair to form..basically get a big enough tank for 8-10 angels then let them grow up together and hopefully a pair will form.
So I set up my tank..got angels from a few different deiveries at the local IFS..then let them swim around together..
I started this in October with dime and quarter sized angels..
earlier this week toe of my marble Koi's started pairing up..they were in the planted corner of the tank..heavy with sword plants..and were ceaning leaves..no breeding tubes were down.
I thought(operative word) they were too young..the male is about 6" fin to fin

the female maybe 5".I was told they maybe just starting to form a bond..don't worry juveniles do this from time to time..
last night I found a sword plant leaf covered with eggs the male guarding the area and the female fanning..
this is in a community tank and my guess is I'll lose these eggs..but I 'll set up a new 40 in another part of the room and move the pair there..

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Congrats! I purchased 3 angels for my tank and two of them paired off. They lay eggs all the time, but I don't take them out or do anything with them. They get eaten when the lights go out at night. It's kinda sad, but I'm not trying to be an angel breeder either!

Congrats!

Amy

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
thanks,
we're going to attempt to get some of the next spawn to get big enough to take to an IFS and trade them for supplies.. :idea:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Just a tip. Leaving a room light on 24hrs a day will usually help the Angels keep the babies safe during the night.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
yup, all except for the BN that really, really wanted the eggs..she wiped them out.

but I will have a new tank set up within a week if possible.
I'm looking at a special order for the long run tho. :joke:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
ha! yeah the plecos are a pain. I had to go to all snail algea control after I cought my rubber pleco dining on apisto cavier.

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
lucky guy... ive always wanted to set up an angel breeding tank... but since im gona move in about a year im gona have to wait until after college (depending on where i go...)

gl and post picks plz!!!!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
LOL..those darned plecos are quick and tough too.]
with .that armor plating I doubt she felt much at all..LOL
I should have snipped the leaf off and stuck it on a mason jar with hole in the lid and run an airstone it it....LOL

but what an excuse to get a new tank...LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store