Angels, Silver Dollars & bichir in African cichlid tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Coler:
there's no need to put words in my mouth, I didn't say that.

its not a good idea to mix fish you havn't kept before - how are you supposed to know what constitutes normal behaviour and what requires management. Before it is thrown out there as proof that this is incorrect, the standard community tank is excepted as are any other combination of known non-aggressive fish.

there's a big difference between a school of neon tetras sorting out their issues and a tank with Peacocks, a Bichir and a Silver Dollar involved.
Attention to the 'its not a good idea to mix fish you haven't kept before'. How is that to be taken besides don't mix them unless you have kept them individually before?

DU55: Get them in the 75, then worry about what else to add.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
could be taken that its not a good idea ?

honestly, this is a pretty trifling difference of opinion. I say that bichirs and africans are not a reccomended mix, especially if you havn't kept say a bichir before, and you say otherwise.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I had a feeing that it would be hard for someone to resist commenting on the obvious problem with this tank - congrats on your swiftness! 17 minutes...

I was given the 55 & a 75 by a friend, and will be setting up the 75 on my new porch as soon as it's finished - walls are up, tile is set, just waiting for glass in the windows. Apparently, my house does not have enough support under the floors to support the 75 - I have the 55 set up against a corner, but my husband says the 75 is just too heavy. The porch is on a concrete slab, so it will be fine there. It'll be another month or so.

The first occupants will be the silver dollars and angel. They will be joined by others, species to be determined. Can't wait! this porch is going to alleviate the crowding in that tank, the crowding in my bathtub (I'm moving myself to a 5-person hottub!) and the crowding in my bathroom - my 6 orchids currently take up all surface space, but will have plenty of room on the porch. We'll all thrive in steamy splendor... ;)
unfortnately, all too often, we see folks who get the wrong impression from places that tell them the fish will grow to their environment.

I have seen the comments made by the mega wallyworld uninformed staff member telling a customer who was interested in an oscar and a 10 gallon tank. ;)

so we try to enlighten those individuals..
we have no way of knowing from your posts your knowledge of fish keeping.

we try to be helpful ;)

DU55

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Greenville, SC
we try to be helpful ;)
Thank you for saying that! I do need some help. I'm just kind of cracking up that forums haven't changed much in the 10 years since I've been part of one. I remember getting flamed for not using the right kind of special crochet hook for a certain kind of yarn. Which I suppose I deserved, sort of. ;)

Ok, let me try to hone in on specific questions. I really do appreciate the info! btw, my African cichlids are in a group that is not as territorial and aggressive as most. Peacock, hap & taiwan reef.

1. Is a Rift Lake tank suitable for freshwater fish like angels and silver dollars?
2. Conversely, can you keep african peacocks in freshwater (no cichlid chemistry & buffer additives)?
3. I'm keeping an angel, silver dollars & bichir together harmoniously - is this a fluke?

I promise that I'm concerned about my fish being in a too small tank, and I further promise that I'm more concerned about getting those 4 guys into a bigger tank than in getting more fish.

Thanks and TGIF!
Diane

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
1. Is a Rift Lake tank suitable for freshwater fish like angels and silver dollars? angels - absolutely not they will be annihilated, although I have seen Angels live with a couple of yellow labidochromis caereulus in a heavily planted 55 gallon tank. This would have to be considered very unusual in many ways. silver dollars - no not really suitable.

2. Conversely, can you keep african peacocks in freshwater (no cichlid chemistry & buffer additives yes in the right size tank with a Ph over say 7.5 or so and reasonable Kh they will be fine, and presuming well maintained will colour up beautifully. Low Kh could be a problem, as would acidic water. the two generally go together.

3. I'm keeping an angel, silver dollars & bichir together harmoniously - is this a fluke? in the right size (large) tank nope, subject to the Angels and Silver Dollars being big enough. If they are still juveniles though, always remember that past performance is not necessarily and indication of future performance, the value of stocks may fall as well as rise etc. i.e. they may behave quite differently as adults.

I promise that I'm concerned about my fish being in a too small tank, and I further promise that I'm more concerned about getting those 4 guys into a bigger tank than in getting more fish.

Thanks and TGIF!
Diane
No prob - we'd hate to think we were flaming you - that would be absolutely not intentional

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store