Another betta question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HarmonyAZ

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
My mother's renters moved out and left a pitiful looking male betta behind. Can I put it in my 29gal tank with 1 danio, 1 cardinal tetra, and 3 serpae tetras? (Please don't lecture me about schools. I had schools and these are the last remaining fish, and I may not restock once these are gone.) Right now the betta is in one of those little 4 cup-ish plastic 'tanks'. Also, does he need betta food or is the tropical flake ok?

Thanks! I know this has probably been answered a million times but probably not with these particular fish.

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
I dont know anything about serpae terras, but he will be fine with the other 2 fish. As long as the serpae terra dosent have long fins, or isnt agressive, he should be fine. I have a betta in my 29 gallon with zebra danios, black finned jumbo tetras, and corry catfish. If the betta is extreemly agressive, it may not work, but I would say you should be fine.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
Beware the serpae tetra, these can be nasty but if its just the one, and he has no backers to support him, he might be ok with the betta. I'd try it but observe carefully for a couple days. Poor betta, give him some nice thawed blood worms and he'll perk up just fine.

Edit: Three serpaes? Ok, feed up the betta till he's got his strength back, before you place him in your tank, I'd say. This gives him the power to defend himself from the serpaes if he has to. You might get a surprise, because if the betta is in good shape, he could start bossing the serpaes. It can go either way with bettas. You never know.

Last edited:

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I think the regular tropical flake is fine, if it is good quality....

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
tropical flake is ok, but if he's in poor condition, a bit of betta food, you can get it at walmart would fix him up nice :) I'd not put it in a feeder, however, I'd just drop a bit each morning in front of the betta who'll be at the water surface waiting.

SamXXXkiss

Rock on, people!!!
Mar 2, 2005
MD
If this new betta throws up his food don't be worried. It's because he must be stressed and anxious.

beachbuum04

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Bettas usually don't like flake food but mine will eat just about anything in sight :rolleyes:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I've never had luck with giving my betta flake food, even betta specific flake food. I have 5 serpae tetras and mine are pretty nasty! I'm not sure if its the same one, but I see one of them going at it with my molly quite a bit. It has gotten to the point that I am thinking about moving the molly or the school to a different tank! Definately try to get his strength back before you stress him more by moving and competing with other fish, then its worth a shot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store