another drift wood question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zeta054

AC Members
Jan 28, 2008
I have noticed this white film or cloudy white thing that is floating right around my drift wood. what is that? is it dangerous?

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Did you just add it to the tank, or has it been in for a while?

dreadboy113

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich. UK
possibly mould!!! Or algae!!!

I'd remove it, scrub it and put it back in. An if it returns would destroy the bit of wood,

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Some sort of fungus, nothing to worry about aside from the way it looks. Get yourself a Panaque like L204 and you won't have that problem again.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Is there any way to get a pic posted? I am not good at fungus and algae personally, but for those that are it would be helpful. I was just going to suggest you take it out and scrub it good, maybe boil it. I wasn't sure if you did that before you put it in the tank or not.

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
Absolutely fine. will not harm any fish.
Some fish will eat it, as will some snails.

If none do then your only problem is if you find it un-aesthetically pleasing to look at. The best way to get rid of it in this case would be to scrub it off and then boil the wood itself. This generally works perfectally.

It is usually described as a mould or as a fungus but it is actually because the wood still has some living properties and although it cannot grow it produces this mould-like slimey white mucus.

If it doesn't bother you, leave it. It'll most likley clear itself up!

Hope this helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store