Another ick outbreak

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
Right now:

ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph - 6.5

I'm not sure as to why my Ph has been so low lately, it's usually around 7.0-7.5
I added about 3 teaspoons per gallon. I have a 50 gallon and performed a 40% pwc prior to salt dosing. I put in 150 teaspoons of salt in 3 sessions of 50 teaspoons completely dissolved in 5 gallons of tank water, every 12 hours. I have done a water change every 2-3 days.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
This is odd. What test kit do you use? I would not have expected zero nitrate unless the tank is either heavily planted or receives a total water changeover daily. If you are using test strips, switch to API liquid drops so you'll get a much more accurate set of results.

When you do a water change, is the amount of salt also per the water volume you replaced?

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
yea I've always wonder why my nitrates read 0, I always figured it was my plants. I don't have a lot but around 7-8 bunches of plants. I do use API test strips and i plan to switch to liquid drops once i finish up with these, but although they're inaccurate, the readings can't be too far off right? and yes I do replace the amount I take out, 15 tsps per 5 gallons

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
That is enough plants to get you 0 nitrate if they are healthy IME

keep doing the salt treatment.. ich chemicals are garbage and do more harm than good.. never use them

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
I stopped the treatment, I did a 50% water change, did a very thorough deep gravel vac, and removed some hollow ornaments to dry out. The fish already look very happy! Its been about 4 days with no signs of ick, I would have liked to go for a full week but the fish looked very stressed. I'm going to hope for the best, let the temperature drop in the tank and hopefully slow down any remaining ick parasites and continue with vacuuming the gravel for the next couple days.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Your goldfish appear to be intolerant to salt if they did not seem happy with it. Keep a watch for any more ich infestations. Malachite green can be used at a drop per gallon dosage. Formalin can deplete the oxygen level and goldfish tend to be heavy oxygen consumers so perhaps I'd just go with malachite green if all options have been used up.

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
Its one fish that really seems to dislike any changes in the water and clamps up practically within a day of both rid ich and salt. He's already up and swimming all over the place 6 hours after the 50% pwc :) . So I really hope the ich is gone! Time to up the quarantine period from 1 week to 2-3 weeks!:lipssealedsmilie:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store