Another LED thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ok so it seems like the fixtures are near identical...in that case I think ill go with the TT fixture since its now 25 bucks cheaper than the reefbrite. Il go ahead and place an order.

Thank you so my much for all your guys' advice and insight! I can finally look forward to having some decent lighting for my system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Not a bad deal just looks like its missing the red and greens, could always add them yourself though if you decide they're worth it.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Not a bad deal just looks like its missing the red and greens, could always add them yourself though if you decide they're worth it.
Well the thing is I don't know anything about the purpose of the red and greens. Is it supposed to enhance growth or something?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Green = bad, does nothing for photosynthesis, and IMO looks really bad on a display light (talking from first hand experience). Green is in the 510-540nm range of spectrum. Red does help with growth, but most reds used in display lights are not the correct spectrum for photosynthesis either, so basically they just add color to the tank, which is a good thing in the case of reds (makes red/orange things look really nice, like clownfish).

This is the spectrums needed for coral/plant growth, violet, blue, and deep red (640-660nm). Most reds used on display lights are in the 620nm range, and as you can see by the chart, that falls short of being useful for coral and plant growth.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
In light (no pun intended) of what you're saying here, doesn't that also mean that green is good for making greenish things in the tank look better? I don't do SW yet, so I'm just curious.

Green = bad, does nothing for photosynthesis, and IMO looks really bad on a display light (talking from first hand experience). Green is in the 510-540nm range of spectrum. Red does help with growth, but most reds used in display lights are not the correct spectrum for photosynthesis either, so basically they just add color to the tank, which is a good thing in the case of reds (makes red/orange things look really nice, like clownfish).

This is the spectrums needed for coral/plant growth, violet, blue, and deep red (640-660nm). Most reds used on display lights are in the 620nm range, and as you can see by the chart, that falls short of being useful for coral and plant growth.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
That is effectively the reason some fixtures are now adding green. But if I understand the spectrum sheets correctly, that is also why a lot of people started shifting towards Neutral Whites instead of Cool Whites. You don't get the peaks, but you get more of the green and more of the useful red.

Personally, from what I've been able to tell from the LED wars is that it all depends on the individual tank. Each tank is different. And we're all mixing and matching varying goals ranging from "what's best for the corals" and "what's best for our eyes", while some people insist on trying to do both at the same time (these people are quite obviously mad and should probably be avoided in case they get violent). Since it all depends on the individual tank owner, as well as the tank life, it's all a toss-up really. Which is why the trend seems to be shifting towards "screw it, let the customer adjust the color and be done with it".

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Green is not lacking at all in any white LED, actually the opposite, there is more green than most people would desire. Cool Blue and Cyan are the colors missing in white LEDs, but they not a needed spectrum and makes the tank look awful if you add them (cool blue give you the 'windex look' and cyan just makes the water look.. well.. cyan.)

There are only 2 'battles' with choosing LEDs, 1. Personal Preference and 2. Usefulness for photosynthesis. It is up to each person to find a balance between those 2 that makes them happy.

Here is the spectral chart for Cool White, Neutral White, and Warm white, compared against a 250w Phoenix 14k MH bulb, just so you know the truth (which is basically less red in the spectrum the 'cooler' you get).

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So, the green is already present in the white, so there's no need to have a separate dedicated green, while red may help with photosynthesis and has the added benefit of improving some colors. Right?

SubRosa had mentioned that the blue LEDs are actually useful in photosynthesis, and my LFS has a blue/white LED array for my size tank, and each color is separately dimmable. I'm planning on getting that for my FW tank, as well as if I get my SW tank up. Playing with their display models, there was actually a surprisingly varied range of color depending on how much dimmed each array. I was thinking about asking if they had a model that I hadn't seen that had red and green LEDs as well, but I guess that's unnecessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store