another newbie and a micro-reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
Wayne,
Thanks for the compliment. The tank has been up and running since June, 2002. It is finally beginning to settle down. By that I mean that the algae blooms are starting to subside. I'm not sure if it is due to the tank aging or my finally completeing the clean up crew. Either way, IMHO it has taken about about 7 to 8 months of battling various algaes for my tank to settle in.
Brian

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not sure what a planted SW tank would be. There aren't any true plants that grow in SW. Some plants can be used in a sump and are called mangroves as a group, but these break the surface of the tank so require special consideration. Macro algaes are useful in nitrate export, but not needed.

In general, the SW tank is less maintenance than the FW. If it were a FO tank then the maintenance routine would be a little heavier, I think, since you would have a higher bio-load with less biofiltration. So, you'd have to run a power filter of some kind, and it would need regular cleaning.

twflys

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
Wow! thanks for all the help, just another quick question..... why is everyone saying that I can put about as many inverts (shrimps, snails, etc) as I want in tank, but only 1 fish?

Thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
While I won't say you can put as many as you want, inverts general contribute little to the bio-load, and are beneficial in breaking large waste/excess food down. Fish contribute more waste to the system than an equal amount of inverts (many snails, hermits, and shrimps are detrivores, most fish are not).

Just keep in mind that like vertebrate critters, inverts have food, and space needs that must be addressed. For example, coral banded shrimp tend to be agressive towards other shrimp. Arrowhead crabs are territorial, and will frequently kill intruding shrimp and crabs. Some kinds of hermits are viscious shell stealers, and will kill snails just to try a shell on for size. Some snails are herbivores, and if the algae supply is limited, will die in droves and pollute the tank. Similarly, some species will thrive, and their reproductive pattern can be a bit polluting--they spew eggs and sperm out in clouds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store