Another noob question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Its an aquaclear70 i think, any petstore should sell aquaclear sponges. the bag you got there is probably carbon, which you dont need. I have chaeto and mangroves growing in mine.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
While I agree you can run a tank without carbon, water clarity and color are significantly improved through its use IME. Yes Chemipure is a bag. Take it out of the jar it comes in and drop it in (kind of an all-in-one product). When I ran it, I replaced the bag about every 2-months but your bioload and feeding will pretty much dicate how often you replace it. It does work pretty well.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Awesome, il clean it up and put it in the tank.

Last question, how much lighting should be used on my tank?

Fr my FW I have 2.5 WPG but I read somewhere that I should use 5.... Tht is going to be an expensive light fixture... Also does my live rock need light? Does it hurt to have the light on?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
While I agree you can run a tank without carbon, water clarity and color are significantly improved through its use IME. Yes Chemipure is a bag. Take it out of the jar it comes in and drop it in (kind of an all-in-one product). When I ran it, I replaced the bag about every 2-months but your bioload and feeding will pretty much dicate how often you replace it. It does work pretty well.
IMO if your not filtering out med's or anything and need water polished better off with a bag of purigen, lasts longer then carbon and reusable. Carbon loses most of its effectiveness after 2 weeks and has to be thrown out, purigen can go 2 months and be recharged to go again in 2 days.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Awesome, il clean it up and put it in the tank.

Last question, how much lighting should be used on my tank?

Fr my FW I have 2.5 WPG but I read somewhere that I should use 5.... Tht is going to be an expensive light fixture... Also does my live rock need light? Does it hurt to have the light on?

46g tank right? Which is 36" I think, you want it to be more then just live rock eventually at minimum you'll want a x4 39w T5HO setup @156 watts. For price you get what you pay for I have a couple Tek fixtures which are great, also have a couple fixtures from aquatraders, they work but they're pretty cheaply made and have lousy reflectors.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I think you could get by with a two bulb fixture, mines a three bulb and everything is fine with corals placed accordingly.

Softies zoas etc should be ok. However, eventually you'll want to upgrade, so it may be best to get the 4 bulb now. Mines a Catalina aquarium light, great reflectors and a good price, check their site out.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
2 bulbs would be ok for FOWLR and for some stuff like shrooms and some polyps, not enough for alot of nem's and hard corals.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Ok, I don't have the $200 to buy a whole reef lighting setup so I was looking online and I saw where some ppl had built there's and I think I may go that route because of the price issue. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to do it or if anyone has done it? I basically need to know what parts to buy ect..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store