Another tank restoration thread.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Same here but mine is a 100g.
Who made these tanks, just curious?

I've got a 40g version of that tank, and I was going to say "OMG YOU DRILLED THE WRONG SIDE!" then I saw you said the previous owner did it.

It looks really good.
Thanks! I think the previous owner or owners allowed alot of scratching of the original "front" and decided that would be the side they drilled. The only issue I ran into was how to plumb the returns but it was easy enough to fix.

What are your thoughts about the quality of this pump? General build quality, performance, noise? I saw this brand over at Ken's Fish at a low price and haven't been able to find much info about them.
The pump runs really quietly, except for a little hum from the glass sump on the tile floor. It's pretty hefty for it's size, which in my experience is a good thing when dealing with electric motors of any sort. Overall it's put together well and it moves quite a bit of water at this head (32") I couldnt find any reviews either and wondered if that may be because no one has had any problems or if people just didnt buy them because of the lack of review.

Great restore!!! A background would help. Tank looks great love the oscars
Thank you! I am in no way finished with the aquascaping. I'm moving on to the stand and canopy next though. My fish seem happy the way things are and it is functional, which was the main goal (that and to put my kitchen and dining room back together). I'll be sanding and replacing some trim and doing some repairs on the doors before another coat of paint goes on the stand and I may scrap the canopy and build another one with matching trim.

As for aquascaping, all of the plants in the tank in the video are from a 29 gallon I had set up until I found out a 55 was too big and I had to break the 29 down for a sump (thank goodness it's big enough). As for the background I'm going to wait until I have decided on the substrate and the decor before I choose a background.

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Got the background cut out and hung, bought the biggest piece of mopani in town and an aqua clear 50 powerhead for a little water movement (to stir the poo up to the overflows) and a 10-11" Florida Spotted Gar.

100_1825.JPG 100_1826.JPG 100_1827.JPG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
how did you repair the crack?

i would have just gotten acrylic from the HW store and repaired it with acrylic glue and new acrylic..same way they place the top and sides on acrylic boxes.

looks good

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
how did you repair the crack?

i would have just gotten acrylic from the HW store and repaired it with acrylic glue and new acrylic..same way they place the top and sides on acrylic boxes.

looks good
Thanks!

I made a piece of acrylic the length of the crack squared. I bought some weld on which fuses the acrylic together by melting the molecules together and clamped it on top of the crack. It cured within minutes and the bond is supposed to continue to strengthen up to 30 days! It was bonded so well after 5 hours that I couldnt see a way to separate the two pieces if I wanted to. Weld on is the way to go.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Thanks!

I made a piece of acrylic the length of the crack squared. I bought some weld on which fuses the acrylic together by melting the molecules together and clamped it on top of the crack. It cured within minutes and the bond is supposed to continue to strengthen up to 30 days! It was bonded so well after 5 hours that I couldnt see a way to separate the two pieces if I wanted to. Weld on is the way to go.

:thm::thm:

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Last but not least the way I shall leave it for now...
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rWYJjnQtyCM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rWYJjnQtyCM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store