any gourami can go in a betta bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
I had a betta live 18 months in a 1 gallon pickle jar (without the pickles) before he was moved into a 10 gallon. I think he preferred the jar, he eventually became lunch for the Monster.

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
Hey Yonder, I wasnt really offended, the crying smiley (crying smiley??) was in jest.

Too bad there isn't anyway of conducting an experiment without subjecting some of these labyrinth fish to undesirable living conditions. Be interesting anyway. Sorta the Hitler of the aqaurium world.

And you guys that want female gouramis that are hard to find, can you maybe ask your fish store to order one for you? Some LFS around here are willing to do that.

I had a betta a long time ago when I was young and dumb, and he lived in a one gallon bowl for 2+ years.

And I think you guys hit it about right on the rice paddy thing. They are shallow, but there is constant water flow and they are pretty big. I'm thinking about doing a rice paddy set up in a 30 gallon for some female bettas. Gonna grow some rice in a test tank this summer and see if its even feasible to grow it in an aquarium.

OH BTW Lazer, alpha is a her...not that it matters too much.
And BTW Yonder......so THATS a festae.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Well, I just happen to have a betta, a dwarf gourami, and a - either a 3 spot or a black paradise, I have no clue which - I could do some testing :)

But I won't.

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I know I might get my head chewed off here, but hey, I think I'd be willing to test it out myself. I am curious. While nothing I own is in a tank smaller than 5 gal its a good question and I now want to know.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Think of it like this:

Imagine you living in your bedroom for the rest of your life. Someone made it nice for you- put a little plant in there or something. Once or twice a day someone slides some food under the door for you. Every week they come in and vaccum the floor, and put some fresh oxygen in there. If your a labrynth fish then the window is always cracked a little- and you can always get some air. You will live- but you wont thrive. You would probebly die early from some sort of health issue. This is like living in a bowl. If you lived in a tank, you would have a house with windows always open and clean air being pumped through. You still get the once a week vaccum- but because you have such a bigger area the mess isnt as noticeable. Its much happier and you have room to excerise and even some friends to live with.

This is the way i see it. Kind of strange, but true.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Geez, as long as I have high-speed internet, I'd be happy... someone cleans my room, makes my food, and I can keep myself occupied all day :)

Love life would suck, though...

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
sorry alpha :)

My brothers and I have kept bettas for a while now. He has kept most of his in an unheated 'bowl' if you wish.. I think it's like a 2 gallon. I have kept mine in a 20 gal long, heated. There is a big difference. His usually isn't very active at all and eventually looks like it's dying. It usually floats around until someone comes around and excites him. Mine swim all over the tank. One day mine decided to get nasty towards other fish, even to fish that were about 6 inches long. I took him out of there and put him in a bowl. After a few days I saw the same thing happen to him as with my brothers, it just kinda laid around, I also notice the color in his fins became more dull and even transparent in some areas. I could see little molecules moving around in them. After this I stuck him back in the heated tank and now he has a permanant red wash along his bottom fin. He was an all dark blue almost purple crown tail. IME the cooler water and less oxygenized water has changed him chemically and physically.

ZookeeprUltima

Registered Member
Feb 1, 2012
i noticed this thread and thought i'd add my bit...
I recently bought 2 dwarf male gouramis for my 10 gallon aquarium. I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank, however upon filling it with water i noticed a leak. I can not use my hospital tank until my brother seals the leak and in the meantime i've had to use two of my empty betta tanks. These tanks are 1 gallon heated and filtered aquariums that i keep my bettas and the occasional feeder minnows in. They all have optional aeration that i put into use for the gouramis... i know they are labyrinth fish and all but bettas dont use gills AT ALL and other labyrinth fish use gills to varying degrees and i wasnt sure how much the gouramis prefer to use theirs. It's been a week and both gourami boys look surprisingly happy for such a small amount of space. They're almost done with quarantine and fairly soon they'll be in the community tank but they dont look at all unhappy in the 1 gallons.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
i noticed this thread and thought i'd add my bit...
I recently bought 2 dwarf male gouramis for my 10 gallon aquarium. I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank, however upon filling it with water i noticed a leak. I can not use my hospital tank until my brother seals the leak and in the meantime i've had to use two of my empty betta tanks. These tanks are 1 gallon heated and filtered aquariums that i keep my bettas and the occasional feeder minnows in. They all have optional aeration that i put into use for the gouramis... i know they are labyrinth fish and all but bettas dont use gills AT ALL and other labyrinth fish use gills to varying degrees and i wasnt sure how much the gouramis prefer to use theirs. It's been a week and both gourami boys look surprisingly happy for such a small amount of space. They're almost done with quarantine and fairly soon they'll be in the community tank but they dont look at all unhappy in the 1 gallons.
This thread is almost 7 years old...

Also I'm not sure where you heard/read that bettas don't use their gills. It's an accessory organ and I believe that they aren't even born with them fully developed...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store