Any guitar players?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
sumthin fishy said:
EMG- I started out playing the heavy stuff, but untill you get really good at it, it is quite boring. I switched to blues/classic rock when I found out how much more fun you could have with it. Teach him the panatonic and lay down a nice blues riff on the fiddle for him to play over. Hell come arround...

Thanks for the advice Fishy ! I'm really hoping he gets over the anger banger music in a hurry...it's sooo ugly...(shudder...blah!)

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
sumthin fishy said:
EMG- I started out playing the heavy stuff, but untill you get really good at it, it is quite boring. I switched to blues/classic rock when I found out how much more fun you could have with it. Teach him the panatonic and lay down a nice blues riff on the fiddle for him to play over. Hell come arround...
I'll back you up on that one. Blues and classic rock, although I don't always like to listen to it a lot, is way fun to play. A decent compromise is AC/DC. Pretty much the whole Back In Black album is reasonably easy (I say that like I can actually play it all) but really fun and on the heavier side.

T

DaveinSF

AC Members
Apr 12, 2005
Corax said:
I've played guitar since before you were born Andy. Picked it up in 1986 and haven't put it down since. I'm a strat fan myself.
I have a couple American strats, a '58 Les Paul reissue, a Hamer, and a Les Paul DC. Strats are very comfy and ergonomic-feeling. I don't like how close the volume button is to the bridge, though. Some guys like it, but the button is right where I want to rest my pinkie and ring finger, especially when dampening the strings with the palm.

There's nothing that sounds quite like a Les Paul, especially thru a Marshall.

Strats and Pauls are both great-- and very different-- guitars.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
One thing I notice about electric guitarists is that they are really lazy when it comes to reading music. Most are content either improvising, learning by playing back a tape, or tablature (which is unstructured nonsense). I used to be into the hard rock in my teen years until I stumbled onto Bach, and realized that is the stuff I want to play. I've got piles of music spanning seven centuries. Can't beat it. I've got to admit I'm a bit of a guitar snob and don't really see electric guitar as a demanding instrument.

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
That depends entirely on how much effort you want to put into your playing. Not everyone buys fake books and tab magazines. Playing rock and roll isn't about knowing WHY it works, just that it works. Ask Angus Young why half of his platinum selling riffs sound so bad-*** and all you'll get is a grin. You can analyze the theory behind the music till you are blue in the face and it still won't account for the testosterone factor in rock and roll. So enjoy your Bach, though I personally prefer a wee bit of Flamenco myself, but let other people enjoy what other people want to enjoy.

btw, I'm not defending the state of music today. It's a pathetic joke.

DaveinSF

AC Members
Apr 12, 2005
Corax said:
Everyone wants an Ibanez, but make sure you play one first. I had one, an RG1570 which is one of the better, non-signature edition, models. It was a fantastic guitar, and I absolutely hated it. The big claim to fame for Ibanez is the ultra wide, super flat neck which makes leadwork very easy. It also leads to hand and wrist problems for some people. I figured out what was killing my hand in time to get rid of the thing. It's an amazing guitar, but it can really so some damage. A Jackson never gives me a problem, and they have similar necks.
I'll second that one. Most of the Ibanezes have Floyd Rose locking trems on them. I've come to realize that I don't like that style of bridge. Break a string and the whole thing goes hopelessly out of tune. The bridge tuners are bulky and it's easy to push the guitar out of tune accidentally with the palm of your hand. Changing strings is a relative pain in the rear.

mechanic

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I've played off and on since 1972.
My first guitar was a cheap SG copy.
I sold it and picked up a Vox standard model 24.
It kicks ***!
The other guitar I came by kind of tragically.
I inherited it from my mom.
Its a 1966 model Framus jumbo acoustic.
Amazing tone,naturally for a instrument that
vintage with a solid select top.
I just wish my mom was still around to play it instead of me.
She was alot better player than I am.
I'm mostly into classic rock with a little blues and
some old school country music thrown in.
later
Eric

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
reiverix said:
......tablature (which is unstructured nonsense)...
How so? Just because it is structured off a single instument instead of the actual tones?I can read tabs as fast as many people read notes. How do you feel about box chords then?

Mechanic, good to see another vox afectionado on the board!!

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Yeeks I think I've struck a bad chord somewhere.

Corax, I've saw AC/DC several times in concert and they were brilliant. My all time fave guitarist is the late Randy Rhoads although I prefer stomping rave music to anything else.

sumthin fishy, the problem with tab is it tells you nothing about the substance of the music. Reading score is easier because it has a pattern. I can look at any piece of score know what it sounds like, which is handy if I'm browsing to buy a piece. I think that you don't realize how useless tab is until you can read score. As for box chords, they are fine if that's what is intended.

This is just my personal opinion. Makes no difference to me what people are playing but I'm sticking to my guns here.

Reiverix oot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store