any luck with yellow tangs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tahoe98

Registered Member
Sep 7, 2004
Columbia, SC
Everyone is right in that yellows will eat almost anything........ eventually. I just want you to be aware that when you first get it, it may not eat flakes and all this other stuff. I have personally seen many newly introduced tangs (including some of my own) that wouldn't eat anything but seaweed for a while. Once they settle in, they will basically eat whatever you throw in the tank. I'm not saying this will happen, but be aware of it so that you don't get it and feed it pellets and freak out if it doesn't eat them. If this happens, clip some seaweed in there for a while and I guarantee it will be gone whenver you come back to the tank. As far as the blue hippos I have mixed feelings. They are definitely more susceptible to ick than the other tangs but this doesn't mean that every blue hippo is destined to die of ick. The main cause for fish being susceptible to any diesease is a lowered immune system caused from stress. Reduce stress and you reduce the likelyhood that he will get ick. Do this by getting the blue hippo first so that he gets used to the tank. I would also leave the light off a good bit right after you get him. My blue hippo did exactly what I described above with the diet. He ate nothing but seaweed for the first two weeks and then would tear up mysis shrimp and new life spectrum pellets. To me they are worth it because you can't beat their looks and personality.

ChrisB

AC Members
Aug 4, 2004
MS
Visit site
will they also die easier from ick, though i dont think ick will kill fish that easily (unless untreated or serious) but then again im not an expert on this

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Yup, the blues are much more fragile than either the yellow or the scopas. I wouldn't start with one myself but, that's just IMO. The yellows and scapas both will both bounce back from ich a lot faster and IME aren't as picky about water qualtiy.
hth
Chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store