Any one have luck with Leopard Geckos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
VF: Cute

This may sound odd but that little devil is very cute.

Are you (meaning VF) able to breed geckos in captivity.

Humorous here but Chris (a gal from SE NM I have run around with for many years) says not only no but h..l no on the fluorescent light as she gets scared enough in the summer when the geckos on the back porch creep up to her (she says the incandescent light on the back porch grows way more than enough geckos)!
I will figure out some way :)help::help::help:) to deal with this.

TR

There is a method behind my madness and this is horny toads.
http://www.dflt.org/awareness/hornytoad.htm

As I indicated previously they were everywhere when I was a kid but I have not seen many in years.

We would put several in a red ant bed and several weeks later baby horny toads would start showing up but you did not have to worry about standing in so many red ant trails.

The fire ants have taken over in West Texas and I have my share in my vacant lot north of the office .....

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
VF: Cute

This may sound odd but that little devil is very cute.

Are you (meaning VF) able to breed geckos in captivity.

Humorous here but Chris (a gal from SE NM I have run around with for many years) says not only no but h..l no on the fluorescent light as she gets scared enough in the summer when the geckos on the back porch creep up to her (she says the incandescent light on the back porch grows way more than enough geckos)!
I will figure out some way :)help::help::help:) to deal with this.

TR

There is a method behind my madness and this is horny toads.
http://www.dflt.org/awareness/hornytoad.htm

As I indicated previously they were everywhere when I was a kid but I have not seen many in years.

We would put several in a red ant bed and several weeks later baby horny toads would start showing up but you did not have to worry about standing in so many red ant trails.

The fire ants have taken over in West Texas and I have my share in my vacant lot north of the office .....
Yes Jones, I've bred this species of gecko along with 7 other species in captivity. Leopard Geckos are one of the easiest species to breed. That's why I just bought this little guy to pair up with 2 of my other female leopard geckos. They're still a bit young but I hope to get some eggs from them in the next 3 or 4 months.

I love the look of horned lizards but they make terrible pets in captivity because their diet is almost exclusively ants. That's an interesting article, thanks for sharing!

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
I love the look of horned lizards but they make terrible pets in captivity because their diet is almost exclusively ants.
VF:

I would be more than happy to ship you several nests of my fire ants this spring for starter kits but I recommend that you decline this offer (just thought that you might be interested in the following).

These are very, very nasty little devils.

Their sting to me is much worse than a red ant and is slightly above a true yellow jacket but well below a stinging scorpion.

They are also very voracious little devils.

The ticks and chiggers which were prevalent in the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas are virtually gone.

I have had reports of death of baby cattle, sheep and goats in West Texas.

This is very qualitative but I believe that their westward migration has stopped where the average annual rainfall is less than 15".

Hopefully the Texas A&M Aggies will come up with something in the next couple of years to begin their eradication (as per the screw worms).

TR

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Wow, that's crazy! I can't imagine having those guys around. I don't think I want to find out what their sting feels like either. I'm going to have to decline on your offer! :D

I've heard that scientist have bred a type of parasitic wasp that lays it's eggs in fire ants and kills them. I sure hope they can stop the spread of them soon.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Fire ant bites are horrible! and where they bite you it leaves a puss blister..yuck. and did i mention that it stings like hell...nothing like stepping on a ant pile in flip flops while walking the dog...

Florida is a Jungle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store