Any peaceful community cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
there definitely are community cichlids! Discus and Angels if you count those, for starters. Others include rams, apistos, and kribs.
They will all eat smaller community fishes. Angels love tetras, a real answer would completely rely on the OPs definition of "Community Tank". IMO neons will be decimated by just about every cichlid out there, therefor they are not community fishes by my definition..

Discus? I am doubting that is what they are considering.. Not for the average keeper.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
They will all eat smaller community fishes. Angels love tetras, a real answer would completely rely on the OPs definition of "Community Tank". IMO neons will be decimated by just about every cichlid out there, therefor they are not community fishes by my definition..

Discus? I am doubting that is what they are considering.. Not for the average keeper.
your generic statements are just as bad. the statement isnt true. there are plenty of tetras that can be kept with angels. there also plenty of cichlids out there that would be fine iwth neons.
disagree. You can keep shrimp with many fish without an issue.
if you dont think them becoming lunch is a issue then you might be right....

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
You are correct, I was thinking smaller tetras when I only typed tetras. I should have been more specific.

if you dont think them becoming lunch is a issue then you might be right....
Numerous community fish will not snack on shrimp. There are many considerations to, well, consider. Or are you trying to say that you can not keep shrimp with any species of fish?

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I have kept Cardinal Tetras with Firemouth, Rainbow, and Honduran Red Point cichlids for the last couple of years and haven't had a single one eaten. I can't imagine neons would be any different.

As for the shrimp though, any cichlid, even dwarf cichlids, will make short work of them. Even your gouramis are likely to find them a tasty snack. From what I've read, there are some fish that won't munch on them, but I don't know what kinds.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
most fish will go after the baby shrimp and adults. if you are worried about the shrimp set them up in a shrimp only tank. let them breed and move some over to the bigger tank. its natural food for them. i have kept angelfish with cherry shrimp and just had enough hiding spots for them not all to become lunch.
You are correct, I was thinking smaller tetras when I only typed tetras. I should have been more specific.

Numerous community fish will not snack on shrimp. There are many considerations to, well, consider. Or are you trying to say that you can not keep shrimp with any species of fish?
my point was already made up there. i quoted it for you. even the smallest fish will go after the baby shrimp its food for them. the adults might be safe depending on hiding spots and size of fish. like i said if they are worried about them set up another tank. you said no issues yet i gave them to you.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
What was said was:
Shrimps and fish are a no-no.
I said:
disagree. You can keep shrimp with many fish without an issue.
I didnt say you could keep them with fish without issue. I said you can keep them with many fish without issue and that is true. I had a 29 heavily planted RCS tank with 4 different types of Neons and Rasporas. I never had an issue. If they were eating the babies they sure didnt do a very good job as I was selling them constantly as well as culling them to feed other fish on a daily basis. I was always up to my eyeballs in shrimp.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway

Angels and Discus are both Cichlids Ive kept both with everything from Neons and cardinals, Rummy nose and serpae tetra, Just about ANY tetra will work with these fish.

Along with that Ive got a 46 gal tank right now with 4 Bolivian Rams with 12 neons, 12 white clouds, 6 cory cats, some ottos and a BN pleco. They dont care one bit dont mess with anything. In my 90 gallon Ive got 4 German blue rams with 8 rummy nose, 8 cardinals, 8 Serpae's, Several rainbow fish, King Tiger pleco, BN pleco, 8 julii cories, 6 Chain loaches and 3 Roseline sharks/barbs. No issues and the funny thing even more...... Ive got about 30 Amano Shrimp and about 40 Red shrimps in that tank along with several different snails, MTS, Mystery and Nerites. Sure the Baby cherry shrimps get chased and some eaten. But my adults dont get messed with. My amano no one even looks as. My other tank with Cichlids is Several tetras and danio along with 3 Purple Parrot Cichlids. They are about 4 to 5 inches big and never bother my other smaller fish.

So Cichlids can work in community type aquariums. I even know of a member on this very board that has an enorumous Midas/flowerhorn cichlid in a planted tank. Doesnt do anything to his mollies, or tetras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store