any pike/walleye/carp fishermen on the site?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
this + this = this

this rig works wonders for walleye,pike,crappies,perch,and sunfish!!!

EDIT: are you going spring,summer, or fall?????

i have heard of people using small "float n' fly" rigs and they catch pike like mad!!!!!! (this rig is used in spring. cold water= slower metabolisms=less hungry fish.)
trolling with the top rig works wonders.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Fisherwoman here. We troll with worm harnesses & long A Bombers for walleye. Steelhead seem to like them as well, not sure about pike. The best colors are Wonderbread and Monkey Puke. As far as Perch goes we use crappie rigs and put double minnows on them and drop them over the side of the boat while anchored. If they are hitting by the time they get to the bottom it is time to pull them up. We fish Lake Erie from spring till the ice is on.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
I don't remember what baits I used , it was back in 1986. I caught a bunch of walleye trolling and a few pike casting. It was fun but not sure if the black flies and skeetoes will be around when you will be there. We were there in early June up on Lake Gilbert and got chewed , bring skeetoe netted hat, long sleve shirts, and long pants and duct tape. They dropped us off at a cabin and left us there for a week. No phone , no radio :) OH and taking a bath in the lake !!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH, IT WAS COLD:eek3:

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
thanks again for the advice... I'll be upgrading my tackle box with some of your suggestions, for sure...

I think the biggest surprise to me is how important trolling seems to be. We've been fishing on a boat for a few years, and not once did we give trolling a chance. It'll be a new approach for us.

fishshrod, I think the flies come out a little later (hopefully) but yeah, we remember to bring bug spray! Without a doubt. lol..

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
it doesnt take long for the bugs to come out!!!

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
I remember now that we were trolling when we caught most of the pike. It was cool being out there listening to the wolves at night.

srikamaraja

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
There is nothing like a lazy afternoon spent drinking beer with creek water up to your knees...

...dip-netting for Redfin Pickerel.

I know it's not fishing, but it's in the same spirit.:p

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Pike for some reason are much more active in cold water...in summer they come in like logs but in the fall they go on feeding frenzies

Walleye this time of year come up more shallow (all day long) and before dawn and just after dusk they move up to feed in the shallows (bigger walleye that is...the smaller 3-5 lb walleye will still stay in their school in water about 15-25 feet)

If trolling for pike or walleye you can basically use any lure that resembles a minnow (I recommend Rapala Husky Jerk ...it suspends and is very easy to keep at a specific depth...in this case 15-25 feet)

the colour depends on the clarity of the water and native baitfish species in the lake...like previously mentioned if there are a lot of perch in the lake, use a minnow about 10-12 inches that resembles a perch

Walleye are a lot more difficult to catch this time of year because their feeding period is majorly cut down ... about 30-40 minutes from my experience and they tend to hit BIG BAIT instead of picking away at 4-5 pieces of little bait

for Walleye trolling has to be extremely slow this time of year...the water is becoming very dirty due to the fall turnover and they have a big advantage for hunting...but the colder water makes them very lethargic

if trolling for walleye specifically you should back troll (throw the boat in reverse and let out about 30-40 feet of line with the Husky Jerk) and troll in a very large "S" pattern to avoid spooking less fish

I can't think of anything else atm lol sorry for the essay

I'm happy I can actually give back to the community now ^_^
I'm a newb in fishkeeping but I've been fishing since I was a baby

FINALLY A TRADEOFF

Edit: I forgot to add target structures to my essay OMG
Walleye structures to target this time of year are weedlines (especially bullrushes just on the outskirt)
Large sandy shoals of about 10 feet of water (before dawn or just after dusk again)
any underwater shoal with a hump on it for some reason hold lots of walleye this time of year
and last but not least...the steepest part of any shore breakline (if the drop off stays consistent and gradual and then all of the sudden there's one spot that drops from 20-30 feet in about 5 feet distance...there will be schools feeding on the drop off...waiting for the night time to come up to the shallows to feed on baitfish)

THERE I'M DONE NOW

2nd Edit: If you do end up catching a walleye make sure you take the cheeks! There are too many people that just take the fillets off of the walleye and leave the cheeks. THIS IS A SERIOUS NO NO! The cheeks on a walleye are like fillet mignon and boy are they yummy!

Last edited:

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I remember when I was little and lived in michigan you could buy live baby ducks to use as pike bait. You just rubberbanded them to a big hook, cast and let them swim around until it was to late. Looking back that was cruel as can be, but man was is sweet when a pike slammed the surface hitting one of them.
:irked: That is the cruelest thing I've ever heard of, in my life!! :nono::nono::nono:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store