Any tips for training?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
What are we doing here? Building a nuclear bomb? If the guy says "oops", just run as fast as you can and outrun the blast wave.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I agree with Zaffy. And as a professional dog trainer, I'd like to add this:

1.) Do not judge a new guy for incompetence or misunderstanding. Be clear and simple with what the job is and how it needs to be done. Make him repeat things, no matter if it's boring. Constuctive criticism is good.
2.) Let him know when he is wrong and when he is right. "You're doing a good job" goes a loong way. Remember how rewarding it was when you completed training amd someone told you that? Encouragement is key. A book called "the one-minute manager" is a great reference. Making someone feel welcome and accepted is also vital to good training.
3.) Lastly, make sure he is confident and clear when you are done demonstrating how to do the job. At this point in the job, no question he asks is stupid. This is when you will know you have completed YOUR job.

Good luck, my friend.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Wewt!!! Go go dog trainers...I had a post almost exactly like this typed up but then I deleted it and went with ":rofl:"

Where do you work bro? I'm with Alaska Assistance Dogs.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Wewt!!! Go go dog trainers...I had a post almost exactly like this typed up but then I deleted it and went with ":rofl:"

Where do you work bro? I'm with Alaska Assistance Dogs.
In my experience dogs are easier to train than humans. I have the wrong job.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Well, we have 2 electric cart pushers. I have to give permission for him to become certified with them. If I think he can use it after a few shifts, then I pass that on to the boss. At Target, we have many more responsibilities than carts. We have to clean both restrooms every hour, take out certain garbages, and a few more specific things like making the bottles of chemicals used to clean.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Well, we have 2 electric cart pushers. I have to give permission for him to become certified with them. If I think he can use it after a few shifts, then I pass that on to the boss. At Target, we have many more responsibilities than carts. We have to clean both restrooms every hour, take out certain garbages, and a few more specific things like making the bottles of chemicals used to clean.
You just listed your duties and keeping that list in mind, it should be easy to pass that kind of info onto him. I agree about not criticizing his method as long as the job is done correctly and on time. If you have found a better way that is worth passing on, do so.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Well, that was a short list. There are many more things we are responsible for. He can ask many people what to do in certain situations, but I also need to get him to remember rules. Man I wish they just had a video like they do for other positions.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Maybe you should make one and present it to your supervisor. Let them know it would have been very helpful for you and maybe use it as part of your training with the new guy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Well, saturday was his last day of training. I had to leave him alone while I went on a mandatory 30min lunch. It got pretty busy when I was on my lunch (I was walking around the sales floor looking for clearance items). But to my suprize, he had a lot of carts inside when I got done with my break. I look forward to working with him, while not being responsible for training him. I made sure to teach him things my trainer never taught me, like making the mop buckets. It was pretty nice, I certified him for the cart pusher and we were able to split up to the two different sides of the store. Whenever I had a lot in on blue side, I would help him out on green side (blue side has 3 parking lot rows, green has 5). But he was able to keep up pretty well without my help. So I was able to go do other things that needed to get done other than keeping a constant supply of carts inside.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store