Anybody know about coppersafe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Table salt is fine. I've used iodized and uniodized and can't say there's any difference.

KH is carbonate hardness and is the concentration of dissolved bicarbonate and carbonate. The higher the KH, the better your pH is buffered. A low KH can be deadly to your tank especially if there is something that causes it to drop, leading to a pH crash.

Know your KH, it's important.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
just use salt to cure it. 1 tsp for every 5 gallons.
I personally would reccomend a higher dose, details are in the article. There are multiple strains of ich, some will tolerate no salt others will tolerate a little bit. One study showed an ich strain survivng the salt all the way up to 5 ppt. 3 teaspoons per gallon is rougly 6 ppt. So while many strains would in fact be killed by 1 tsp per five gallons, there stands a chance of ich survival, and I like to be sure when murdering such creatures. :laugh:

Dave

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
well they suggest that the way to remove coppersafe is to thru water changes..that being said..trace copper will most likely remain in your tank.
technically I read that the copper isn't really chelated(inactive) but more it is sequestered.. oddly the article suggests that the formula for the solution =21 gr of copper +21 gr of citric acid crystals...and use 1 drop per gallonwhich =.15ppm
the citric acid sequesters the copper to make it stable the acid helps to disolve the copper and prevents the copper levels from bouncing. copper is a heavy metal ion and is considered poisonous..

this stuff doesn't sound too good for some fish and a lot of plants

Odie7

Registered Member
Mar 20, 2011
CopperSafe is effective if used properly

I am currently towards the end of week 2 of CopperSafe treatment. I removed all fish from my reef tank and put them in two hospital tanks, a 10gal and 18gal tank. So far I have not lost any fish. My tank got Ich from a PBT that I failed to quarantine properly even though I was told it was pre-quarantined by my LFS.

In my 10gl HT I have my two tangs, a PBT and YT.
In my 18gl HT I put the rest of my fish, a Pair of Gold Maroon Clowns, 1 Red Scooter Benny, 1 Bicolor Blenny and 4 Green Chromises.

I put in some PVC Pipe sections and some cheap tank décor to allow hiding spots for my sick fish. These items will not be going with my fish back into the DT.

I do 25-50% water changes in my HT’s every day. I also test my copper levels every day to insure I stay within 1.5-2.0ppm as the manufacturer of CopperSafe recommends. I don’t run my temps high or my salinity low (the fish are stressed enough). I normally have to add a teaspoon of CopperSafe every day to my HT’s after I do water changes. It is difficult to balance the proper copper levels and low ammonia in HT’s that have no BIO filtration so it’s important to test the Ammonia and Nitrate levels daily.

The instructions on my bottle of CopperSafe say to remove all carbon media when treating for this 4 week period.

From what I have read on this topic you must keep your DT fish empty for 6-8 weeks to allow the Ich cycle to run it course and die out.

PBT Ich 2.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store