Anybody running a DIY LED for a planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
a high cri high cct led does not exist yet.

cree xp series come in high cri but only in low color temps, the full spectrum 6500k has a cri of like 70-80, it seems low but the difference is not huge.

you dont need the extreme blue that reefs get, but i dont think it will hurt aside from being too much light unless both are dimmed way back. while plants tend to favor red light (vs corals) they will still use blue very effeciently

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
are you saying that the full spectrum bulbs from cree aren't going to work?
I lost ya there.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
thye've got those little square ones that have like 7-8 bulbs in the piece that they are saying is a 6500k full spectrum.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
It's a listing from a site that aggregates manufactures freely available information and sells your cookie details to their advertisers.

Specifically it is a listing for a manufacturer that makes LED spotlight bulbs in the MR-16 format. The manufacturer is in China. The "bulb" is made up of a bunch of smaller LEDs packaged in a standard form factor shape and pin configuration.

What it isn't, is a listing for a full spectrum single LED. Sorry.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
never said it was a single bulb. I mentiuoned in an earlier post it was several cree bulbs in a single light

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
I have no idea what an emitter is.
But isnt that besides the point? LOL
Is this a true full spectrum cree setup? Or are they buffaloing me?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store