Anyone bred Vampire crabs before?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bruno Dosjax

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2008
I actually know that he keeps them in semi aquatic set ups and they usually spend time under the water (completely) with no problems. We actually have one in our aquatic display at work, he just likes to sit on the java fern all day, he comes out of the water every now and then, but only to eat (we offer him dead crickets on the flaoting land area).

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
hmm.. mine dig holes and hide in the bromeliads.. don't spend a whole lot of time under water, just one the edges
Nice.. I'm working on importing another 30 WC. I think one is pregnant, she dug a hole in the subsrtate and has been hiding there for a little while
Let me know if he has any babies to sell/trade.
Are his the red eye or the yellow?

FFI

AC Members
Apr 26, 2008
I figure breeding crabs ANY crabs in a captive setup in next to impossible, most ocean types/land types have complex larval stages where they would only do well in nature, I assume pretty much all crabs are the same in this regard. Furthermore I assume your vampire crabs were wild-caught, because of this reality.

While I think they are cool to see and keep I think breeding them for the average hobbyists isn't reality.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Anything else on this, or are there new threads? All of my vampires have dug tunnels beneath their pool, but one of them seems to be crouched in a hollow in the corner a lot. These have been going strong for months. Thanks,

-Bryce

Intelsuit

AC Members
May 9, 2011
I just got 3 of them. I believe two males and one female. This post was written back in 2008. Did you ever get them to breed? Any help you could provide woulld be great. I would be very interested if you have any tips or tricks.

Thanks.

Intelsuit

AC Members
May 9, 2011
I just discovered tonight that my Geosesarma sp. Vampire crabs had crabs. There are about 3 little crabs running around the tank that I saw. I assume that there are more but I didn't have time to look. Well not exactly running, more like hiding in the plants but I saw them tonight. It is so neat. I am so excited. I wanted to get them moved into my new 55 gallon before they had babies but they beat me to it. I will post pics when I get more time.
Does anyone know about new crabs? Are they safe from the parents? What about a female fiddler crab?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store