Anyone ever build a 2 tank sump?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I currently have a 10 gallon sump under my 90 gallon tank, which is just too small. After realizing I can't replace it with a 20 due to clearance, I have started brainstorming.

Here's what I'm wondering: If I can fit a 10 gallon under the stand without cutting anything, why not construct 2 plywood sumps with the same footprint as a 10 gallon, and connect them with horizontal bulkheads?

Has anyone tried this? I'm going to give it a shot once I figure out my layout. The way I'm thinking, I'll divide both boxes into two chambers, lengthwise, so the inlet and output will be in the same box.. I'll attach some crude PS drawings for critique..

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Should work but i think 20g is still going to be to small. You might want to consider a canister as well.

Edit: just realised this thread is in the marine section, what i just said might not be relavent as i don't know anything about marine tanks.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Here's some configurations I'm playing with. I want to include the algea scrubber as well; that's the crosshatched areas...

sump design2.jpg topsump2.jpg sump design3.jpg

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I have a canister as well, but it is gutted. I've been running the tank naturally for months now, and it was set up using a 55 gallon that was over a year old.. I've had no problems so far.

The tanks themselves will be a bit taller than a 10 gallon as well.. It should equal out to 30 full gallons, while operating at about 20 +

Last edited:

darthgoby

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
I would suspect that 2 tanks connected as a sump would operate similarly to 1 larger sump.

The one thing I'm surprised about is that a 20 gallon won't fit. I seem to remember that the 20 I bought for my sump wasn't that much larger than the 10 I was considering.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
It would fit if I could get it through the door.. Unfortunately, I am doing the sump upgrade AFTER setup, and there's no way to get under 90 gallons of water now..

The standard 20G is 4 inches too long. Don't even ask about the 20L I originally purchased!

darthgoby

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
Just as an FYI, here is the list of standard aquarium sizes that I download.

10 20x10x12
15 24x12x12
15 High 24x10x18
20 High 24x12x16
20 Long 30x12x12

How about a 20 High?

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
In my old shop we had a 180 in the front counter and had the same problem. We tried 2 sumps and could never get it to run evenly untill we tied them together like you are planning. It ran perfectly after that so yes, it will work.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
People gang up sumps all the time. You need to make sure your interconnect pipes are large enough because they won't have a large pressure differential across them to support much flow.

Sometimes people remove the center post out of their doorway just long enough to install a decent sump tank then, of course, replace it. It's not all that hard, you should probably consider that.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I'm afraid that the center post is load bearing.. That frightens me beyond all else!

If I can't find a diamond hole cutter large enough (I can't afford to buy one right now) I'll most likely use two plastic tubs, unless I can smuggle some wood from my father. (Highly possible)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store