Anyone have a open top aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
With a wet dry filter you will get everything out of the tank equipment wise, no issues with level changes due to evaporation in the tank, very stable etc.
For this sized tank, they are cheaper also if you DIY.

Jumpers are part of the deal or have fish etc that don't jump. I had a couple of shrimp every 2-4 months sneak out. I can live with that.

I plant the area around the tank with house plants and the surface plants also create a barrier for jumpers.
I have an old pic up on www.sfbaaps.com with some pennywort to give an idea.

I'd go with Flourite for the Discus vs onyx.
I would not mix it with sand etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
I have had an open top 75g planted with MH for three years now and I am swithing another tank over to open top right now. I love them. I have all DIY lighting and stand. No digi camera yet, so no pics, sorry. I do lose water to evaporation, 1 inch almost every 2 days in the winter. But, topping off is a small issue since I am doing some type of maintenance those days anyways. I did have a couple jumpers at first. Just a couple of SAE's and one shrimp. So, I made a two peice 4" "rim" with plexi glass and those corner protectors for your walls. I had to be easily removable. Otherwise working over an extra 4" to reach the gravel in the bottom of the tank would be too much. I removed/broke it almost a year ago an I haven't add a jumper since. Just a few dozen dried up up MTS snails on the rim of the tank. I don't have many plants that flower above the water so I don't know about that. Also, I don't notice much of glare issue unless I sit on the floor right in front of the tank and look up into the bulbs themselves. You are also wasting light energy by putting glass between the light and the water, up to 20% or more if the glass is dirty. But, what I love most about open tanks is the "glitter ring". The beautiful reflections from the MH's off the water on the ceiling. Especially in a plant tank with little surface movement the pattterns are very tranquil and almost hypnotic. IMO it makes for a more natural and peaceful environment which is what a lot of us are working for in a planted tank.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Onyx tends to raise the KH a little.
Fine if you have other fish but most folks try to keep the KH down generally.

Check pituretrail.com under plantbrain.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Plantbrain, I'm planning a planted tank in the future, and I have a question about your last post. My KH is 5.4 normally from tap, so if I add plants and CO2 to a tank, should I use onyx, flourite, or can you suggest something more affordable? I hear alot of people promoting these two substrates, so if I do need one of them, should I go for onyx to help buffer a bit more?

Also, I have another question. I also plan to surround my tank with houseplants, and want to make a DIY hanging stip light fixture. I have some hand-me-down 48" NO double flourescent strip lights with ballasts, 4 separate ones. My question is, can I use two double strip light set-ups in a DIY hanging wood fixture and get enough light to my tank and surrounding plants? That's a total of 160 watts over a 55 gal aquarium? Also, is it feasible to use wood, cause I know it can be heavy. Thanks.

Last edited:

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
If you do a fair amount of water changes etc, add peat, the effect of the onyx is not much.
A KH of 5 is fine.
I don't give other suggestions for substrates as a rule since these two work so well and have a number of attributes that I like.

MPV Turface/Profile/Schultz's works well, but is very light and a PITA to replant etc in. Adding sand to this at 30-70% ratio or 50-50 etc can weigh the profile down. I don't like the look and I don't like layered substrates much.

My point is that the flourite is "worth the cost". It last forever, you don't deal or worry about the substrate again. I've done more types of substrates/systems than anyone I've met or talked to on the net/in person etc. Sure, you can get other things that will work well, but I just suggest this for the simplicity, availability and effectiveness.
It's all I've used for the last few years. If you look , you can find it reasonably priced on line etc. See if you can work a deal with the LFS on a large amount if you need it. Trade plants for it etc. If you have a 55, 4 bags is fine. about 60-80$. MPV is about 10$.
I'll spend the extra $ for it personally.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
As always, I appreciate the advice. I will probably do just what you have said. Being new to planting, I'd rather cut down on my headaches than some minor costs. Especially if it lasts like you say. I appreciate the help.

Altivelis

AC Members
Dec 5, 2001
Visit site
I have an open top tank with a large breedin group of endler's livebearers, cory cats, algae eating shrimp and a few oddballs. I have use a variety of bog type plans as well as standard aquarium plants that grow in and out of the water. I have a large pot outside the tank that runs the entire length of the tank and has potho plans growing out of it and into the water.

I have had no problems with fish jumping out but I guess the planting is fairly dense.
The tank's dimensions are 45 long, 18 wide and 12 high

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store