Anyone have yo-yo loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Thanks for burying this even deeper.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I use to have a dozen of them. They grew to between 4 and 6 inches within the first six months I had them. Their diameter is about that of an uncooked hot dog. The more you have the more active they are.

emufish

AC Members
May 21, 2009
I have 2 yo-yos and have kept several over the years. The first bunch I had many years ago were really quiet and great at snail destruction! So this time round, I bought a small pair - they have grown to around 2 1/2 inches and are voracious feeders! They prefer flake to snails now (lazy) and I did have to put them on a diet at one stage, as one got really chubby.

I also have to be careful with mine, if they get hungry they will attack smaller fish and kill them. In fact, I think they were responsible for recently killing my Chinese Algae Eater (who was bigger than them!!), but he was a fussy eater anyway, so it might have been a combination of things. They cleaned up the mess anyway. They don't mess with the Dark Ruby Barbs I have though.

Generally, I like them and they are entertaining. If I put my hand in the tank, they come along and try to tuck into my hand - and you can really feel it! I'm glad they dont have teeth!

Last edited:

dtd87

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Mine were about two inches when I got them a year ago. Now they're about 4. Mine aren't chubby though. They are very active still also :p They like to play tag

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Quite a range here!

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Well I think the consensus is they get to be about 4" and are typically semi-chubby. They also can be very entertaining while slightly rough.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
My oldest is 7-8inches I also had another with that was 6inches. Unfortunally I can not tell how old they were when I got them. My oldest I have had for 5yrs+ now. My newly aquired 12 are under an inch.

The chubbier ones mentioned could be females. Although they do seem to gain some gurth once they slow growing in length.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I've had a pair of yoyos for the last 21 years. They were about an inch long when I got them in '89 and grew to about 6" in 2 years. About 6 months ago one died, I'm assuming from old age, and I bought two more juvies. They've grown from an inch and a half to about 3 inches.

Mark

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
How big are your yo-yos and how long did it take for them to reach their full size? I love this fish and want to get more if I can find some. I've heard/read that they usually only reach 4 inches in a tank, but are capable of reaching 6 inches. Also I was wondering if they stay thin, or do they get chubby? Thanks.
mz:

Mine are like 6" long and 4 years old.

They tend to maintain their proportions as they age.

They also tend to lose their distinctive colors as they age.

TR

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've had a pair of yoyos for the last 21 years. They were about an inch long when I got them in '89 and grew to about 6" in 2 years. About 6 months ago one died, I'm assuming from old age, and I bought two more juvies. They've grown from an inch and a half to about 3 inches.

Mark
That's a nice long time! Congrats on their good care

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store