Anyone tried these?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I haven't tried them, but I'd be interested in hearing what you think of them.
What wattage / style (SE / DE) are you trying?

I'd be willing to give a couple of the 70w DE (FW planted tank), 175w 10,000K SE, and 250w (6,500K and 13,000K) SE bulbs a try depending on your thoughts of the first month or so.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'll be trying the 250w DE 6500k and 10000K lamps. I'll keep this updated and post pics of the lamps. I love the XM lamp my halide came with, but if these work well enough, I'll stick with them for the price.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
I've bought two different brands of cheap metal halides before, not those ones but the same sort of thing. My experience is they start out great, nice colour and bright but they lose their colour pretty quickly. Mine went from a 14000k to around 6500k in about 2 months. Stayed bright and the corals don't care.

Having said that I'm still going to buy cheap bulbs because the brand name ones are WAY overpriced. Plus they seem to have a decent life just don't keep the blue colour. That's my experience anyway.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm not too concerned about the bluish colors. They're relatively inefficient for what I'm going for, anyway, so it makes sense to lean more toward 6500K. The XM 10000K on the E-ballast I have actually has a bluish tint to it. I'd say it is closer to 12000K. It will more than likely look more 10000K after it burns in a bit.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Good news. I did finally get the bulbs in after nearly 2 weeks. That's fine, I can live with that. Well, I go to take my XM lamp out to try out the others and have the worst time getting it out. The contacts had tightened a lot and the ceramic had contracted. After about 20 mins of trying to get it out, it finally comes free. I try one of the new lamps and, you guessed it, it wouldn't fit. By this point, I'm getting very aggravated. I then try to get the old lamp back in. Guess what--it won't fit back in, either. So, I keep applying pressure and suddenly one side finally goes in (ridiculous amounts of pressure--completely unnecessary for what I should have needed). Then I can't get that other end freed. I used my gloved fingers to try to back it out after attempting to level the lamp somewhat. I still won't budge and I was uncomfortable with applying any more pressure. So, finally, the bulb gives, but only after the fixture ripped off the other end of the ceramic. By this point, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the fixture as a whole. I've never had that much trouble with a DE fixture and it was bordering on the absurd. No matter what I tried, None of the other bulbs would fit, still. Then the ceramic of the fixture itself decided to crack. Off to the junkpile this one goes, I'm afraid. I was somewhat leery of Aquamedic products, but had heard good things about the lighting. Now I know that was a mistake. It's a hunk of junk as far as I'm concerned. If I can get any money back, I will--otherwise it goes in the garbage and lesson learned.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
That really sucks, Amphi...
Any chance of replacing the ceramic lampholder with a new one?

Somehow, I'm feeling a little better about my preference for SE MHs all of a sudden...

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I could, but I'm not even sure I want to bother now. I'm going to have to think on it. If I can get it sent back, I may go with an SE pendant.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Hey amph, looking at these bulbs, I was wondering if they would fit in the yellow shop light fixtures?

Also, do you have any pics of the fixture that busted apart? I'm curious as to how they were built.

I had some problems with some halogen stage lights, and was able to get them repaired, just wondering if these might be similar in design.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store