apistogramma-bitaeniata or apistogramma-agassizii double red

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
im deciding between these two cichlids. I got a 20 g which i will house a pair of them. which one is more peaceful and will leave the plants alone (its an iwagumi style tank) and also which one is easier to care for and doesnt grow too big? from what i have read they grow to the same size of around 5-7.5 cm. what are ur ideas?

RBoydIV

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
I would go with the bitaeniata just because they are less common. Both require very clean water so dont get lax on the water changes. Neither should be a problem with your plants, Apistos do great in planted tanks. You should be fine with a pair of either in a 20g.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Agree. Yes you will need some kind of cave. One is enough. That is where they will spawn and the eggs will hatch. The female (sometimes the male) will hang out in there almost exclusively until they hatch. That was how I always knew there was a spawn....the female wouldn't leave the cave.

RBoydIV

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
No, they wont dig up your plants. Cave help if you want to breed them. The female will like to have shelter to hide in.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I think they are both beautiful although the "orange flash" is a little more stunning I think. I have read they only get to about 3-3.5 inches. Good luck with whatever you choose. (By the way, I had to look up those fancy names and get down to the common name for my simple mind.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store