Apistogramma Borelli Cant stay buoyant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jaro58

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
My Apistogramma Borelli are doing super well and I have breeding tanks with about 200 fry of different sizes right now. But since yesterday the Male. (Maybe 1 year old) has a hard time staying buoyant. He has to try harder than usual to get to the top of the tank or simply stay anywhere above the ground. Then he periodically sinks to the ground and just sits there. He is always upright and never tips over like with common swim bladder issue. I cant say for sure but I think his belly is a little bit more bloated than usual. He still displays vibrant colors and has a healthy apetite, so I am not too worried about him. I think whatever it is he can recover. But I still want to know in case it is a contagious disease. What could be his issue?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Jaro

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
That may be swim bladder, especially with the bloating telling me instantly its from constipation and overfeeding issue. If he can still eat, give him peas until he gets better and then fast him three days. If he CANT eat, epsom salt bath.

can you provide on how much are tou feeding them and what you feed them?

Jaro58

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
I am mostly feeding freshly hatched artemia in small portions twice a day, frozen bloodworms once or twice a week and a little bit of pellets when a batch of artemia fails. He still eats well and is even displaying mating behaviour even though hes struggling to stay bouyant. Do you mean giving him cut up cooked peas?

Thanks for the response

Jaro58

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
They love it! And they have a batch of fry every two weeks minimumo_O. I will try your suggestion. Thank you alot! Hope he gets better.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Jaro58

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
So after successfully feeding him peas for 2 days the bloated belly has shrunken a bit. But he still has swim bladder problems. By now all the excess waste should be flushed out. I was thinking about starting to fast him from tomorrow morning on. He has started to hide in caves as the females with fry are bullying him in this helpless state. Poor guy. But he is eating well and looks great.

I will generally start to mix a little more fiber into their diet. Should prevent future issues like this.

• Sad

Jaro58

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
So sad news. I havent seen him for 2 days. So I assume he died and the Amano Shrimps took care of it :(. Maybe it was bacterial after all? At least since the shrimp took care of it there was less risk of infection to the others.

• Sad
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store