Aponogeton Bulbs????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

br553

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
I would say it would depend on the size of tank that you have and the number of bulbs that you bought also whether or not you planned to have other plants. IMO, I would spread them out or even drop them in the tank at random. Some of those apon bulbs from walmart can get a decent size.

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
They may or may not sprout, I've had mixed results. If they don't sprout by a couple of weeks then chuck 'em or set them in a glass of water for more observation.

search google for aponogeton. One of mine sent a white flower into the air quite often.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
also, be careful. aponogetons are not no brainer plants, and to survive well they need high light (at least 2 watts per gallon of flourescent light, 3 is reccomended) and fertilization. they also get quite large, with leaves that usually grow up to a foot long, though mine actually has some that are close to 2 feet! I would not reccomend keeping them in any tank under a foot tall.

I got my apono as a bulb from petco in a pack of 4. out of those 4, it's the only on that sprouted. it grew very fast once it sprouted, and was 10" tall by the end of the week. it now rules the entire eastern part of my 10G, and has about 15 leaves, ranging from 8-18" long. it has also produced 2 baby plantlets for me and is working on 3 more. it's an awesome plant, but it almost died because I didn't provide it what it needed right away.

Last edited:

jamie1972

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
Just drop them in the tank. They could take MONTHS to sprout, if they even sprout at all. We've only had one out of four to grow. Patience is a virtue!

br553

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
Not trying to hijack your thread, but I thought I would post a couple of pics of my tank to give you an idea of what you could get with aponogetons. The first picture is from late July 2006. The tank still had the stock 15 watt incadescents and no co2 or fertilizer. The second picture was taken this past Saturday. About 5 months ago, I upgraded the lighting to two 20w fluorescents, added co2, and started fertilizing regularly because the plants were not doing well on the previous setup. I have also added a couple of new bulbs from AZ Aquatics. I have to prune it almost weekly to keep it under control.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/br553/newtank-1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/br553/undulagain.jpg

Just5398

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
also, but it almost died because I didn't provide it what it needed right away.
Can you tell what it needs to be happy, I bought a package myself and am waiting to plant them until the 20 gallon is cycled before I drop them in.

I'm using Stability, BTW, and it seems to be working WONDERFULLY!!!!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Can you tell what it needs to be happy, I bought a package myself and am waiting to plant them until the 20 gallon is cycled before I drop them in.

I'm using Stability, BTW, and it seems to be working WONDERFULLY!!!!
2-3 WPG of flourscent light, fertilizer (make sure you get potassium at the very least, this is the most important, either that or get root tabs with potassium), excel is optional but if you have the high light aponos need its a good idea to use it.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i've bought several packs of those bulbs over the last few months. success rate is about 1/3 for them sprouting, but it does happen within 15 days. if i put them in the tank as bulbs they rot/fungus/get eaten, but i have tried to sprout them in a 1 gallon glass jar with sand/gravel mix at the bottom. i have a library style desk lamp that i placed over the jar and turned on during the day. some will get nasty, and you just take those out every couple days. the good ones will sprout, and once that happens you can move them to the main tank. i don't really know how *needy* they are, they've been growing just fine in my 55g with 1/2 wpg and no ferts except a random bit of excel sometimes. . . . but that just might be me. the largest has already sent up a flower. i guess they could still die though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store