Apple Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
Would one apple snail be sufficient if i wanted a bottom dweller to clean my tank sand (29g)? I would get a catfish but I don't want any conflicts with my young RTS over hideouts. How messy are apple snails and how many would be good for a 29g?

I don't want any mating going on so thats why I'm thinking of only getting one.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
apple snials will need about 2.5 gal each as adults i think as they do produce a bit of waist. they will clean some of your tank but you wont see it with a bucket and a bar soap.lol. i think i have heard here b4 some were, that snails dont perticuly like sand as a substrate, but i could be wrong.

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
My channelled/giant apple snails (Pomacea canaliculata) didn't do at all well with a sand substrate- I put 2 of the 5 snails in a 30" tank with sand for about a month, and they virtually stopped growing, whereas the other three virtually doubled in size over that time.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
what do you mean clean your sand? Are you talking about leftover food, or fish waste? The snails are not what I would consider a reliable "clean-up" crew. They will eat leftover foods, but are not a replacement for regular maintenance or good vacs. Apple snails are the plecos of the invert world as they eat/graze constantly and poop constantly. That being said, I really enjoy them and they can be a great addition to a tank.

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
by clean I meant algae/leftover food which I don't have too much of, but I cant put an algae eater in with my rts. Didn't know they were so messy and my search continues for a cleaner-upper.

lulu

Gangsta Snail
Apr 24, 2008
NYC
www.hollerbackfilm.com
Also apple snails are really social and bond with the other snails. I would be sad for one that's alone. I have a single one now, because a couple of mine died, and I'm waiting for 2 new companions for her. She seems lonely, and spends a lot more time in her shell and at the water line.

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
Is this true? They don't like sand I mean. I have 3 apples and 3 ramshorns (and a couple of hitchhiking ponds) in my 20G sand bottom. They seem fine, but aren't as all over the place as my apples in my 10G at work with the gravel bottom. Also, I found one buried in the sand when I did a WC the other day. He/she was fine and went trucking across the tank when i unburied him/her. They are eating like pigs and growing like weeds, so other than not seeing them as much, is it ok?

If they don't like sand Ill move them, but that makes me sad.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
well, i don't use sand. I have read many posts with people keeping them on sand successfully, but also many posts about apple snails not liking the sand as it binds up their slime coat and they are much less active.

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
Same for ramshorns?

Thanks for the info :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store