Aptasia, Everywhere Aprasia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
My tank has become infestated with this weed. I've tried Joes Juice and Peppermints neither worth a crap. My peppermints just hide, I havent seen them for no telling how long. My rock looks likes it growing hair thats how bad its getting in my 75. Besides removing the rock what else will remove this stuff? This is probably the only thing that has taken over my tank. I has red slime but finally gotten rid of it. What do you suggest?:help:

cecho

AC Members
Mar 21, 2008
try injecting the with calcium and a syringe. Ive done this and it seems to work ok with no side affect that i can see. The only thing that I did was to use the amount that i was going to dose my tank with that day and used the injection as the dosing so as to not over dose. I believe i remember reading somewhere on the site this advice but my LFS told me this trick. It might take a few tries since they tend to hide pretty quick. I have only been in the hobby about half a year and have had quite a few peppermin shrimps that just hid alot and end up dying. I noticed that they seemed to take care of the smaller aptasia not the big one.

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
Scats are brackish fish. I just went to a website about scats and it didn't say anything about them eating Aiptasia

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
Have you considered Berghia Nudibranches?

I have 7 of them in my tank and that IS ALL THEY EAT (Aiptasia) though they will starve to death when the aiptasia is gone so it's best to sell them to your LFS or post an ad to see if other aquarists want to buy them.

My aiptasia problem (75g) is really bad too and I've noticed some improvement in the past month or so. Visit www.saltyunderground.com and read up on them and see if it's something you want to try. I bought them from Saltyunderground and so far have been pleased. They say it takes a few months before you start to notice a difference. The more they eat, the larger they get, the more they eat, etc. so its a process that takes some time but it works. Check it out

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Scats are sold here in MI in the larger and most respected LFS's for the purpose of eating aptasia, they adapt to SW very easily and they love aptasia at least about 90% of them do from what I have heard, the only problem you might have is when they are done with the aps they may go after feather dusters but so do the CBB's and they might even go after clams. I have a friend that added one to a 90 gallon that was full of aptasia and I mean full end to end and top to bottom and it only took 4-5 days and all the aptasia was gone.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Yes! Scats are one of the few truly euryhaline fishes in the world. Then can adapt to a wide range of salinity, from none at all to full salt water.

Jay.B.

Puffer Lover
Aug 19, 2008
Belper, Derbyshire, UK
Red Sea have bought out a product called aiptasia_X
you target the individual anemones with the included syringe, squirting the product over the central disc, it then sucks in and dies, great to watch :)
I think you can also do a blanket dose for the whole tank, but I'm unsure as to how other anemones would react to it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store