Aptasia!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigb1112

AC Members
Dec 17, 2006
Hey, i have a couple aptasia budding in my 15 gallon tank, i was wondering how i can get rid of them. Thanks for any suggestions:clap:

Cavalier2123

Guy on the couch
Jan 16, 2007
Newnan, GA

I use this and it works, but I know lots of people use other variations of the same thing such as Joe's Juice. I believe it's a calcium based liquid that's heavier than water that will coat the aips and seems to disolve them on contact. I've found it to be safe for aips embedded with other corals. This will take care of the big aips. I bought 2 peppermint shrimp to feed on the smaller ones as they pop up and that seems to help control them as well.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
all of the above will work. many people also have success with kalk paste (also mentioned above, but that was jsut an example), lemon juice, or boiling water.
i had some waaay down deep in pockets so as soon as i would get near it, it would retract too deeply for me to reach it, so i either broke off the tiny chip or rock it was on and let it dry out and die, or i filled the hole in with some hold-fast epoxy

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
i used a chemical & syringe that was recommended by my lfs but very fiddley with the needle then i dumped it & used Joe's juice WOW 100% dynamite to aptasia they open up eat it & sec`s later there gone without a come back great stuff you can buy it on ebay are maybe your local fish shop yeah it costs £7-£10 but it will work & you will have loads to keep in case you up grade & buy more live rock

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
aiptasia control (picture above) seemed to work well for me. A lot of people recommend using natural ways like peppermint shrimp though, which I haven't tried yet. For me personally, I have found the product above to be safe for other inhabitants (at least from appearance) and plan to use it again if needed.

Under any circumstances though, don't try to get rid of it any other way than recommended above... like trying to rip it out. This can actually result in rapid multiplication, which I learned the hard way myself.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I use Stop Aptasia and a syringe. Works about 50% of the time so I hit it twice. Only advice I'd give is, don't wait! Do it now before it's out of control. Years ago I waited too long and had to get three peppermint shrimp. They took care of some of the small ones, but I had to attack the large ones myself.
Good Luck cause they suck,
Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store