Aquaclear Filter Basket

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I run several AC filters and I have two that have this problem. It happens whether they are clean or dirty. I have a nice heavy rock sitting on top of them - could not find any other way to keep the basket from inching up over time.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It's happened to me in the past, but none of my current filters have this problem. I've always had it happen when the media gets too clogged so the water will not flow through properly and simply pushes the whole basket up. Try lowering the flow rate a bit and see if that helps.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
This happens to my 110 almost everytime I do a large water change. I can't figure it out either since my sponge is not clogged. It never happens on the smaller AC's.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I am going to be carrying out a water change tomorrow on the tank with this filter, will give it a good rinse and see if it makes any difference. I have the foam, then on top of that I have a couple spare cartridges from smaller filters (in case I need to quickly set up a QT etc) and then the bio cylinders.

Will post a reply with the results when I am done.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Gave the filter a good squeeze today at water change time, and so far it looks to have fixed the problem. To be honest I was surprised at just how much scuzz was left in the bucket after squeezing it out.

Might have to increase my filter maintenance schedule.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
That sponge holds way more junk than you think. I recently squeezed an AC 50 sponge that was in use for 2 weeks and it filled a whole 5 gallon bucket with brown gunk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store