aquaclear filter wont start up after black out.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
To all the prodders and tappers-what if you are not there? It has happened to me before. :eek:

Make sure they are clean and can start up by themselves. For the hard water folks with deposits-pour vinegar in and let it soak, or if you want quicker results like me-muriatic acid takes about 30 seconds then rinse well with water-careful though-nasty stuff.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by aquariumfishguy
AquaClear's are known for doing this after a blackout or power-outage. They are great filters, but you have to know how to fix them as this can happen often.
How strange, considering how my luck goes. I've had an AC running on an empty, except for a couple of dead plants, 40 for about 2 years with a lot out power outages and it has always restarted. I just kept the take going to stop the seals from drying out. Now that I am getting ready to restock, I read about them not restarting. That will probably happen after I move my sevrum and pleco into the tank.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Originally posted by LongTime

How strange, considering how my luck goes. I've had an AC running on an empty, except for a couple of dead plants, 40 for about 2 years with a lot out power outages and it has always restarted. I just kept the take going to stop the seals from drying out. Now that I am getting ready to restock, I read about them not restarting. That will probably happen after I move my sevrum and pleco into the tank.
Wow... thats awesome. I wish everybodies would restart. I know theres been times when I come home after a power outtage and the filter has stopped and is running dry. Not good... :eek:

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
My ACs don't even restart after a partial water change. Doesn't seem to matter how clean or dirty they are. They just don't start, and if they do, they seem unable to self-prime, even if the filter box is half-full of water.

Jim

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Yeah same here.... if I change too much water, I usually have to restart my AC. But then again, I recently extented the intake tube so that its like 3 inches from the gravel so I dont have a big problem with the filters anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store