aquaclear foam in eclipse?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
I have a 37gal Eclipse 3, and I'm gettin tired of buying the replacement filter inserts. I also have a 115g filtered by an AC500 (and an eheim 2217). I was thinking the AC foam might fit the eclipse if I cut it in half lengthwise.

Has anybody ever done this, or any other diy media for an eclipse system?

Hydro

AC Members
Oct 31, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
I have an Eclipse system 12g, which I believe has a similar design to the Eclipse 3 (I'm assuming you meant 3g, not 37g?).

In the filter tray, I'm using two small bags of biomax (I have a Fluval canister that uses biomax and I think the bags are actually AC filter media bags). This is followed by some filter floss sandwiched between two pieces of foam (AC filter foam cut to fit the tray) to keep the floss in place. That's it. I don't use the biowheel. The water just flows from the filter tray into the well where the biowheel is supposed to go and out into the tank. Oh, I also have a piece of AC sponge in the intake basket to act as a pre-filter.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
The Eclipse 3 hood system can fit over 30 gallon and 40 gallon tall tanks, but it works in the same way the rest of the eclipse systems and tanks work. So you can simply re-use the filter by rinsing it. You can stick just about any type of filter media in the filter tray and it will work.

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
Hydro said:
I have an Eclipse system 12g, which I believe has a similar design to the Eclipse 3 (I'm assuming you meant 3g, not 37g?).

In the filter tray, I'm using two small bags of biomax (I have a Fluval canister that uses biomax and I think the bags are actually AC filter media bags). This is followed by some filter floss sandwiched between two pieces of foam (AC filter foam cut to fit the tray) to keep the floss in place. That's it. I don't use the biowheel. The water just flows from the filter tray into the well where the biowheel is supposed to go and out into the tank. Oh, I also have a piece of AC sponge in the intake basket to act as a pre-filter.
I did mean 37g. The package for the filter inserts say "eclipse2 & eclipse3".

Hydro

AC Members
Oct 31, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
Ah yes, I see. It's the hood system you're referring to. My mistake. I see the diagrams of the hood systems on the Marineland website and all their filters do all have a similar design.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store