Aquaclear Powerhead 402 now labeled 50, deadly issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Yes your correct Venturi on the outlet, otherwise the air on the impeller would cause cavitations and water flow would be greatly reduced just like on a boat jet drive. My earlier comment about the impeller breaking the surface tension with air was an afterthought of how the O2 increase might also be at play besides the bubble surface area interaction. But there are several new papers out now on how air bubble surface area and rupture plays a much bigger role on dissolved O2 in water then previously thought and why water treatment plants rely heavily on underwater forced bubble aerators to provide O2 to aerobic bacteria in braking down waste. Anyway the proof is in the test results and I can tell you it shows in my fish as well especially the large body fish like adult 3” barbs. They are definitely out in the open more and not resting as often and especially after water changes no more heavy breathing for 24-48 hours . I do admit that prior to using a forced powerhead aerator I did use bubble wands, but I suppose the volume or agitation just wasn't enough, the powerhead pouring out a a stream of heavy bubbles at 270 GPH has made all the difference in dissolved O2 readings in both my 60 and 120 tanks, so much so I’m buying a 3rd for my 80 tank and have removed all but 1 air wand. The only down side is the bubble wash and current which I solved by directing the flow against the back glass and behind my HOB lip underwater as per the photo I posted earlier. This has greatly confined current and bubbles wash to one corner of the aquarium leaving the rest of the tank relatively calm and now the fish pick and choose their location, i.e. the Otto's loving to be in the current and the angles away from it.
hmm interesting.
my cleanest tank is one where the power heads provide similar disturbance.. it it a ug filter with powerheads I kept the aeration lines in .

this tank has the clearest water of my tanks.

something I may need to consider in my 75 acrylic.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sorry about that. No assumptions were made, just a lack of understanding the mechanics of what was going on. Guess now I have a second way to solve the same problem.:D

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
My snails kept getting themselves sucked up into my AC 50. Put a strainer (I don't like the look of the foam on the intake or how quickly it gets dirty / clogs) and haven't had an issue yet. I got one of the marineland strainers since they're cheap and you can just slid it onto the end of the AC 50 intake tube (fits on there nice and snugly, no other mods needed). This is what I'm talking about:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
My snails kept getting themselves sucked up into my AC 50. Put a strainer (I don't like the look of the foam on the intake or how quickly it gets dirty / clogs) and haven't had an issue yet. I got one of the marineland strainers since they're cheap and you can just slid it onto the end of the AC 50 intake tube (fits on there nice and snugly, no other mods needed). This is what I'm talking about:

Yeah you'd think after making such a great PH they would have thrown in a strainer for the intake instead of that vac attachment lol. I lost a nice 1.5 inch yellow lab but now that AC strainer has kept even smaller fish out of there even neon's in another tank. As soon as my order for the 3rd comes in I'm installing one in my fresh water reef tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store