Aquarium glass cloudy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dustyrhodes

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2018
I have been going crazy trying to get the water in the freshwater tank clear. It turns out it is the glass that is cloudy. I have removed the fish, gravel and plants(silk). I have tried using vinegar water mixture without success. This is not a new tank. Initially it was a saltwater tank(about 4 years). I switched to freshwater and have had freshwater tank (about 3 years). Any suggestions would be much appreacted.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Is it glass? Is it scratched? Hard water deposit?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Have you tried a single edged razor blade to remove minerals or algae? Long term salt & mineral deposits may have etched the glass. I've "heard" you can polish them out with automotive polishing compounds but I haven't done it.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
It could also be glass corrosion. This occurs when sodium ions migrate out of the glass matrice and dissolve into the water. The resulting skeleton is cloudy. There is nothing you can do about this once it occurs.

Reactions: Rbishop

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If you have tried a razor blade too I would say it is etching and I (and others) have yet to find a way to remove it. What size tank is it? Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale for a few more days I believe.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Kind of odd for this to happen in only 7yrs, but I suppose the combination of water and glass quality factor into it. Luckily I've never had anything on the inside glass surface a good razor blade couldn't remove

What size and manufacturer of tank? A lot of times there's a label under the bottom frame.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store