Aquarium heaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BowMaster

AC Members
Jul 7, 2006
Okay, I can't find a decent heater. I've tried Guardian and Ehiem. They both over heat my tank. I tried the guardian heater and it was preset at 76F and it pushed my tank to 90F before I unplugged it. So, it went back. Then I tried a Jager (now Ehiem) and I've been through 3 now and have yet to find one that won't over heat my tank. the Ehiems I have them cranked way down to like 65F and they push my tank over 80F. People swear by these heaters to me, they say they will heat within 1 degree of the setting. However, apparently when Eheim bought Jager they changed the design, now here I am. I can't get one to work. I was also told buy a friend, that works at a local fish store that they had a shipment of Ehiem heaters come in, and everyone overheated tanks.

Oh, by the way please spare me the improper use speech. I've read the instructions over and over and followed them to a tee. No Luck.

Could anyone recommend anything, I'm desperate. This is Canada and it's starting to cool off here.

Thanks in advance.

Lyle

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
What size tank and what wattage heater have you been trying? Any chance your lighting is contributing to heating of the tank, or are you actually seeing the light on constantly on the heater?

I've had good luck with the Marineland Neptune submersible heaters. They don't have temperature markers on the dial, but turned to the center it will keep the tank at 76. You can adjust for where you want the temp to be by turning the dial just a bit toward the plus or minus. I have 3 of them and all work great.

Last edited:

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
BowMaster said:
Okay, I can't find a decent heater. I've tried Guardian and Ehiem. They both over heat my tank. I tried the guardian heater and it was preset at 76F and it pushed my tank to 90F before I unplugged it. So, it went back. Then I tried a Jager (now Ehiem) and I've been through 3 now and have yet to find one that won't over heat my tank. the Ehiems I have them cranked way down to like 65F and they push my tank over 80F. People swear by these heaters to me, they say they will heat within 1 degree of the setting. However, apparently when Eheim bought Jager they changed the design, now here I am. I can't get one to work. I was also told buy a friend, that works at a local fish store that they had a shipment of Ehiem heaters come in, and everyone overheated tanks.

Oh, by the way please spare me the improper use speech. I've read the instructions over and over and followed them to a tee. No Luck.

Could anyone recommend anything, I'm desperate. This is Canada and it's starting to cool off here.

Thanks in advance.

Lyle

use this and problem solved: http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealin...=control/SearchStoreItemsShow.vm&ctl_nbr=3684

for larger tank with canister, i would use this instead to hide the heater outside: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18532/si1382456/cl0/hydoreth201inlineheater200w

cant go wrong with either of them, dont bother getting any other brand/model. Those are the only two i trust my fish to.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
I agree, the Marineland Stealth Visi-Therms are great heaters, durable, easy to use and most importantly, very accurate. i have a 50watt in my 10G and a 100watt in my 20G. i set them for 80 degrees, and most of the time its at 80.3, which is very very good.

BowMaster

AC Members
Jul 7, 2006
webcricket said:
What size tank and what wattage heater have you been trying? Any chance your lighting is contributing to heating of the tank, or are you actually seeing the light on constantly on the heater?

I've had good luck with the Marineland Neptune submersible heaters. They don't have temperature markers on the dial, but turned to the center it will keep the tank at 76. You can adjust for where you want the temp to be by turning the dial just a bit toward the plus or minus. I have 3 of them and all work great.
I've got a 72g tank and was trying to us a 200 watt Ehiem heater. I know my lights are contributing to the problem, I've got a 260 Watt power compact on there. In fact that is the only thing keeping my tank warm on the warm days. But on the cold days it drops to the low 70's. The thing is, if the heater his set at 65F, why is it turning on when the tank is 82F? The light does cycle on and off, but not with any rhyme or reason.

I think I will just take it back and try one of these stealth heaters the guys are recommending. They seem reasonably priced. Plus, I have a Big Al's just 10 minutes from my place.

Thanks guys.

Lyle

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
The only thing I can think of, is in a tank that size you might be having issues with hot and cold spots effecting the heater. You might consider getting 2 heaters and placing one on each side of the tank. Either that or you've just had some bad luck with heaters. Hope the new one works out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store