AQUARIUM LIGHT ODYSSEA POWER COMPACT ARE STARTING ON FIRE!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saltyshoe

AC Members
Dec 7, 2009
It has happened with all fixtures made by all companys just check the wiring and dont make it go more then 8 hrs a day, I have had 4 different fixtures on many tanks and the only thing that went wrong was an led burned out. so take it in strides.... my fixtures lasted 4 years and sold to a friend who has had it for the past 2 so :) I like them for the most part

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
Your evidence is 4 years old. The lights have gotten better. Unless you have current proof don't slander the company.

saltyshoe

AC Members
Dec 7, 2009
me? I wasnt slandering :) I like them I have a 150 pendent on a 20gal frag tank and a 36" 2x150 with 96 power compacts on a 40 reef, only thing I said was bad was an led went out :( :) bulbs dont last as long I have used a meter and it showed signifigent decline compared to the other bulbs i use thats all :)

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
we have enough things to worry about in a planted tank than our lights catching fire and burning down the house lol. Just get a coralife 4x65W aqualight(the freshwater version) and a coralife timer powerstrip - set and forget, you can then cross lighting off the list of things to worry. There many expensive "fancy" lights, but to me coralife is always the standard - never any issue, relatively cheap by comparison, and very efficient. Why bother with anything else?

Man I was getting really excited about getting my new light in tomorrow until I read the link below. It looks like they have started fires. My home is not worth saving $ on a light. So I have decided not to use the light and go with something else. Does anybody have any suggestions for a 48" light that is atleast 250w?:devil::angryfire::mad2::devil::mad2::help:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=192160

PS: At least I was one reading the stories and not the one writing them.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
me? I wasnt slandering :) I like them I have a 150 pendent on a 20gal frag tank and a 36" 2x150 with 96 power compacts on a 40 reef, only thing I said was bad was an led went out :( :) bulbs dont last as long I have used a meter and it showed signifigent decline compared to the other bulbs i use thats all :)
That was directed at the threads originator. I plan to try out a Pet Traders light as soon as I get my 40 Gallon Breeder running.

vaporize

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2005
.... so have anybody's jebo/odyssea light actually on fire yet? First hand experience, I am sure with aquatrader's prices, there should be more than one account.

there is no point to have all these "my first cousin saw a zombie, my neighbour's wife saw a zombie".

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Just my experience...have a 48" 4x54w Odyssea T5HO over my 55g planted. Now I've not had it a long time (couple of months) but it doesn't run hot. It's quite cool when I just run 2 bulbs, when I do a mid-day burst with 4 bulbs it's warm but nothing uncomfortable to the touch.

I have a Coralife 30" PC fixture on my 29g. It runs much hotter than the Odyssea. I've also had the same fixture fail after less than 2 years of use. I only bought another one because I was in a bind and didn't want my plants to die. It was what was available. I do not plan on purchasing any Coralife fixtures in the future but may purchase another Odyssea.

Also, I have a friend who had a Nova Current fixture catch on fire. So I'm not convinced it's simply an Odyssea problem. I don't run my lights when I'm not home though, and I check the fixtures often. I did try the Odyssea canister filter a couple of years ago and it did leak after a couple of months. I ended up throwing it out.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
there is a $100 difference between a 48" odyssea and a 48" aqualight. For something that will be used every single day and for years to come, is it really not worth it to invest $100 extra for a much better quality product?

sometime i just dont understand how people think....

This isn't the best logic. Just because something is more expensive, it doesn't mean it's better.

Look at the Sun Sun vs JBJ filters.Sun Sun on ebay is like half the price(or less) of the JBJ....but literally they are the EXACT SAME FILTER. JBJ slaps their name on it and marks it up 200-300%.

Another good example:

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/comp...case-charges-3000-markup-and-gets-caught.html

But the $3500 one MUST be better, right?

Regarding the coralife powerstrip/time, I've heard more accounts of these failing/causing fires than I've heard of Odyssea lights causing fires. Most of the Odyssea stuff is all hearsay, but a couple of years ago there were huge numbers of people having critical failures with the Coralife timer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store