Aquatic Gardens 6.6 gallon Bookshelf Aquarium Review

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
I just wanted to add that people are not kidding around when it comes to the tank leaking. I filled mine up to about 1/3" below the tank line, maybe slightly more, I'm not sure. Within 1 day, it had leaked so much back behind the tank where I couldn't see it, it ruined the wooden furniture that it was sitting on. Admittedly, I'm concerned that there might be a larger issue at hand here... however.. I cannot find a source for the leak and it has since stopped. So this is really the only thing that makes sense. Just don't try to fill the tank all the way up, and you're set. I still really love the tank, I just HATE that it destroyed the only furniture I had found that fit its dimensions perfectly.

If anyone else has experienced this or had suggestions to what else might be the issue, I'd appreciate it. It did not leak a small amount, it certainly leaked enough to ruin the particle board and make it seriously expand beyond its original size.

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
If it were the filter -- wouldn't it be consistently leaking? I don't see anything compromised in the structural integrity of it anyways. If I need to open a new thread for this -- I can, just let me know!

bilfish

Registered Member
Jan 31, 2010
Bookshelf Aquarium

Thanks for your thorough review. I've been away from the hobby for many years, and wanted to start back in a small way. I researched a number of other aquariums, but, like you, I wanted the longer dimensions so I bought this product, primarily because of your review. So far, I've been very pleased.
The tank has been set up about three weeks with a number of live plants and I've just added a couple of small fish.
I think maybe they've made some improvements over the years. For example, I've had no problems with scratches on the acrylic, and the filter has an adjustable flow rate so it doesn't overpower the tank-- also, it's fairly quiet.
Although I got mine at Petco, I notice that their web site says the item has been discontinued-- however, anyone interested should check in the stores-- there are still two or three of them at my local Petco.
Thanks again for a very comprehensive write-up.

Bilfish

fresh2o

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Bookshelf Aquarium

Nice to find this forum:headbang2:...I knew nothing about this product when I purchased it.

I found this kit at Petco about a year ago and bought it for the small volume and decent surface area. Have been keeping a small group of fancy guppies in it. The small clump of java moss is now bigger than a head of lettuce and guppies are doing what they do best. Luckily I have not had any leaks, however there are some changes I needed to make. First, there was a bad smell coming from the light fixture. Perhaps it was electrical but it smelt like "B.O":silly: so I replaced it with a 20" 19 watt reflector (runs cooler). Secondly, if the water level was at the high end, a few adventurous guppies would find their way into the filter (btw, I found tetra makes a cartridge that sort of fits in it). Swapped that out with a Penguin bio-wheel 150. Yes, the flow rate is high for the volume but the length of the tank allows for "quiet" spots. Plus, easy to obtain cartridges and increased bio-filtration. Been nice to the acrylic so no scratches. Overall, I am pleased with the product.

cdx008

AC Members
Feb 24, 2011
I just bought this tank and i really like it. Only thing not so great is that its really easy to scratch. The water filter that came with it already scratched up the back. I was using a gravel cleaning tube to suck up the waste and slightly bumping the tank also made some scratches. I still like the tank a lot. It has a lot of redeeming features. Love the wideness, love the very quiet water filter that came with it, and the light was fine. I just wish I could choose where to put the filter.

Bought the tank for $40+tax. Price is so and so for a plastic tank.

toubab

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2013
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but there was a lot of good info in here and I figured I'd add to it.

I just picked up one of these tanks for cheap on craigslist and I’d like to put a betta in it. I cleaned up the tank last night and filled it with water to make sure that everything worked and there were no leaks. So far so good - the pump and filter work well, and the light is also working fine.

I’m a newb when it comes to aquariums and keeping a betta, so I had a few questions.

1. Should I stick with the filter that came with my tank? Here’s what it looks like, and I think it's the same one mentioned in the initial post. I hear so many different reports on what’s best for a betta and I’m a little overwhelmed. The pump is a "Profile 1000", looks like this.

IMG_0975.JPGIMG_0977.JPG

2. I believe I need to get a heater since my house can get a cool at night – down to the mid 60s. Would a 25w would be fine for this tank?

3. I’m going to get a plant or two and few other features to add to the tank. Anything that bettas especially like? Silk vs real?

Next step is to treat the water and take out the giant volcano thing that's in there now.

Thanks in advance for any help

IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0977.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store