Aquatic Plant ID?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Here's an interesting article on vals http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-articles/vallisneria.aspx Well now I'm thinking my "jungle val" may really be natans instead of gigantea. I didn't realize it got as long as that & assumed it was my growing conditions +/or faulty memory. I have seen "jungle" with wider, darker leaves. I think the common name must be used for both long growing types. My mystery val has narrower leaves than all the Americana varieties in the article..

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
Huh, I'd never heard of leopard val before. I looked it up & it's a variety of spiralis... but apparently not spiral leaves. That does look like what you have.
Val. spiralis (Italian val) doesn't get it's name from having spiral leaves—actually, its leaves are narrow and flat. You're likely confusing them with corkscrew vals, which are actually a form of V. asiatica. The "spiralis" bit is a reference to the long, spiraling petioles of the flowers.

I do agree that the plant in question is definitely a leopard val. I've got some myself in a 10g—very attractive foliage, and IME a little bit more manageable in size than the standard Italian vals, which produce 2-3 foot long leaves (or even larger in a tall tank) once they get going. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's funny about the corkscrew val names. In the article I cited, it's called americana var. biwaensis but a google search came up with asiatica var. biwaensis. I suppose my "jungle" could be spiralis. I'll take some to my plant club & see if anyone can tell. I call my "corkscrew" "spiral", as a common name not spiralis as in the genus. So much for common names.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
Yeah, it seems like a lot of vals get lumped erroneously under the "V. americana var." label for no real apparent reason... and the genus is also rife with fake scientific names, to boot. Jungle vals are a good example—you often see them as "V. gigantea" (not actually a valid species) or "V. americana var. gigantea" (not a valid variety, either!)—they're actually V. australis. It has a pretty fat leaf, though. If your plant's leaves are narrow, flat and very tall, it's probably spiralis. Fat, flat, and tall is likely to be V. australis.

Actual V. americana is apparently very rare in the hobby. Easiest way to get it is to just collect it yourself or beg some off of someone else who did. It's appearance is somewhat variable depending on where you get it and what conditions it's growing under.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, it seems like a lot of vals get lumped erroneously under the "V. americana var." label for no real apparent reason... and the genus is also rife with fake scientific names, to boot. Jungle vals are a good example—you often see them as "V. gigantea" (not actually a valid species) or "V. americana var. gigantea" (not a valid variety, either!)—they're actually V. australis. It has a pretty fat leaf, though. If your plant's leaves are narrow, flat and very tall, it's probably spiralis. Fat, flat, and tall is likely to be V. australis.

Actual V. americana is apparently very rare in the hobby. Easiest way to get it is to just collect it yourself or beg some off of someone else who did. It's appearance is somewhat variable depending on where you get it and what conditions it's growing under.
I have read quite a few of your contributions, "Plant Lady", and I remain impressed with your knowledge. Thank you for gracing us with your vast knowledge, ma'am!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store