Aquatic Plants with Miracle Grow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
You would not need to dose cobalt.

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
You would not need to dose cobalt.
I'm just interested in whether it is used by any plants or maybe macroalgae. I inquire purely on a nerdly basis. I mean, the fact that boron is a micronutrient is absolutely fascinating - cobalt is even wilder.

Sorry for straying so far from topic!

Last edited:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Miracle-Gro, houseplant formula, 8-7-6:
total Nitrogen....8%
phosphate....7%
soluble potash....6%
Chelated Iron.... .10%

Length of use: 4 months

Results of use: Slightly elevated green hair algae.

Impact on fish and inverts: none

Impact on plants: questionable. Due to the heavy stocking level of plants and lifeforms - water tests come back as
ammonia:0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: less than 5ppm

Length of use: approximately 16 weeks

Dosing amount: .5ml 2x a week for 29 gallons
.5 ml 1x weekly for 10 gallons

Manufacturer dosing recommendation: 1 drop per quart.

Fish growth/reproduction effect: none

Plant growth effect: as with any fertilizer, it helps but must be used carefully and does not contain all the nutrients recommended for aquatic plants.

What this indicates to me is that it does possibly help the plants as they grow quite well when compared to non-use. However well it "might" help, the use of Flourish is recommended over the Miracle-Gro products as you need the trace elements to further growth.

Please keep in mind that this is my own personal non-scientific test without the use of a control subject.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I'm just interested in whether it is used by any plants or maybe macroalgae. I inquire purely on a nerdly basis. I mean, the fact that boron is a micronutrient is absolutely fascinating - cobalt is even wilder.

Sorry for straying so far from topic!

Here you go

It's used by plants in some pretty essential molecules. One of the more interesting points is it's part of the pathway that RoundUp blocks. It can sort of replace and be replaced in the molecules by other metals. It also can be highly toxic in high amounts.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5k0afN5UZ4IC&pg=PA504&dq=cobalt+plant+nutrition#v=onepage&q=cobalt%20plant%20nutrition&f=false

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Thanks very much excuzzzeme for the information. In your experience, would this be worth the time and effort?

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
OK, the new girl figured it out: Poor Man's Dosing Drops. Or premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Thank you Google.

So, does anyone know about the role of cobalt? Is it more of a marine nutrient?
I'd not worry even a little about it.

Stick with a good light(lower not higher intensity), really spend some time with CO2 and adjust it carefully, flow patterns in the tank, good care clean filters, do water changes etc........

I think most get far more out of those areas of focus than fiddling with nutrients, add them and that's it pretty much, easy, verifiable etc.

CO2, good consistent general care?
Much harder to verify.

Regards,
Tom Barr

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
After having used it, I find I see more of instant benefit from the Seachem Flourish. Usually in 24 hrs I see some new growth forming. With the miracle Grow I don't see as much but yet there is some improvement. If you can help it at all, opt for Flourish. Miracle-Gro is better than nothing but you need to be more cautious with it.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Yeah, that's why I was just going to test it with cheap plants that I don't care so much about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store