Are all fish stores disgusting??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
Sorry about this--I just have to get this off my chest!

I'm so distressed about the state in which my stores are keeping their fish! My LFS (only one here, unless you count Walmart--but let's not count them) has tanks that look pretty good--but everything I have EVER gotten there ends up getting sick within 5-6 days. Sometimes they live, sometimes they don't--I just take my chances.

So, today, I decided I'd go ahead and drive the 50 miles to the next larger town and go to Petsmart and see what they have. I get there and I was so excited to see so many fish I'd never seen in person before!! Then I notice a tank with two fish just COVERED in ich. So I browsed a little more and there were several tanks like that.

The response of an employee?? They've changed their salt vendors and haven't received the new supply yet--so that's been happening. Just unacceptable.

I can't even say I'll NEVER buy anything there--I don't have a heck of a lot of choice! Just have to buy them one at a time and QT them for life, I guess.

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
that's usually how it goes. it's hard to find a good clean store with a good selection.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I know the one in Butte Montana stinks to high heaven. filthy tanks, dying fish and he does not do water changes. his tanks are brown, green and blue green full of algea. heck its hard ot see thru the glass. that guy needs to go out of buisness! If I had th money I would open up a store.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
to answer the question in the opening post...nope.

there are good and bad...thankfully where I am most I consider quite good. when I read the threads from accross the pond, frankly, I consider the ones near me to be reaching excellence if not better, even if the selection of livestock and dry goods is not up to what is available elsewhere...I can think of no more than four shops in Dublin that I would not give my custum to.

RobertW

Arctic Ice Fish
Jan 25, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
not all bad... where iam at... in Alaska... most are pretty good... even dreaded Wally world isnt to bad when i pass by there...

nick_flano

AC Members
Dec 26, 2006
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Hey guys,
i live in australia in a town called wagga wagga and all the stores r locally owned, all have clean tanks, i often see them doing water changes. Fish r generally healthy, fed well, so i hav no problem buying fish at any of the stores. Only problem is that the fish r fairly pricey when u get to cichlids and other larger fish.
But there is 1 chain store that moved in lately called Petbarn, im not sure if u have these guys in the US but they hav horrible tanks, so i dont mind spending more on healthy fish.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
But there is 1 chain store that moved in lately called Petbarn, im not sure if u have these guys in the US
Petbarn seems to be solely an Aussie chain.

Where I live, it's hit-or-miss. The chain stores are so-so, there are some terrible local stores, but also some superb ones. I think where you shop depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to pay. I'm willing to pay a bit more to the LFS for healthy livestock, and I'll buy supplies from them, too, just to support a knowledgeable LFS. If I'm in urgent need, however, the local Petco or PetSmart is ok.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
The worst part is that even though the tank next to an ich infested tank looks clean you still risk getting ich since their whole setup shares the same filtration system.. Best you can do is pick out the strongest and the hardiest and qt him.

Do a further search, i found a few stores near me that werent up on google search.

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
mine are good except 1 out of like 7
where the tanks are clean but prices are like 25$ for a half inch electric yellow i can get them for 3$ each at 1 and 1/2"

i know breeders though.. wholesale prices are good :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store