Are any cowfish or puffers reef safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Several species target Acropora for certain. I suppose there isn't really as much of an issue with more noxious soft corals and mushrooms, as I've kept them together before, actually. I think if you look up diet under A. nigropunctatus (and at least one other, if I remember correctly) at Fishbase, you should find those references. Beyond that, I've watched them do it--I introduced some practically dead pieces (mostly ones that were stn'ing). The puffers loved it.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Good to know! The only time I had a Arothron species puffer was before my reef days when I was into predator tanks, so I never tried mixing the two, and even if I did back then I certainly would not have been with SPS corals. ;) I tried a porcupine in my first reef tank but it very quickly outgrew that tank and had to go back within a couple months. Since then I have learned a lot more on "proper homes" for puffers and have since felt I do not have the required tank sizes to make them happy so no more porcupines for me for the foreseeable future.

This was my Stars and Stripes puffer that I had for 7 years prior to my reefing days.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
What corals are in there? How long has this worked for you? I kept a valentini & coronata in my reef tank for a few months but eventually caught them both picking at corals.

Mine are all soft corals such as mushrooms, xenia, toadstool, etc. Most of my hard corals died before I even got the puffer which is why I risked it. :)

Mine is the Diodon holocanthus. And he's an absolute cutie!!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
My tank is mushrooms, softies, and LPS. I steer clear of SPS, for some reason they just don't appeal to me.
I think my favorite of all puffers are the porcupine (a definate NO in my setup, but so awesome) and the valentini puffers.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I steer clear of SPS, for some reason they just don't appeal to me.
'
used to think the same thing until i saw montis like sunset, poker star, and rainbow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store