Are co2 systems required for live plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hebdizzle

playswithsquirrels
Mar 8, 2003
I never quite understood.
I was planning on growing a couple plants in my 10 gallon but if this expensive equiptment is needed....

thanks for the help

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
It really depends on the kind of plants you want to grow. From what I've heard Java moss & Java fern are pretty easy to grow in low light tanks. CO2 is definitely not necessary, but it certainly helps plant growth.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Plants are just over 40% carbon by weight. Submerse plants get their carbon from CO2. But you do not necessarily require a pressurized or even DIY fermentation CO2 system. With moderate light and moderate feeding, paired with avoidance of excessive water surface disturbance, in-tank generated CO2 will be sufficient.

CO2 does not keep algae from growing. Avoiding algae means balancing plants, lights, and nutrients - excesses or lack of any of those can promote algae.

AntmanMike

K?nig der Schmerlen
Mar 8, 2003
Chicago
stackheap.com
CO2 prevents algae from growing indirectly. If you have many nutrients but not enough CO2, the plants can only use so many of the nutrients. The remainder go to algae. If you have enough CO2 in your system, your plants can make full use of ALL the nutrients, therefore depleting the algae of vital nutrients.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
The ideal amount of C02 needed for plant growth in a moderate to bright light tank is between 20 and 30 parts per million.

The maximum amount of C02 you can measure in a tank produced naturally by the fish population and bacteria and decaying organics is only 2 to 3 ppm. That is a huge difference. Current or no current.

Some plants can adapt to very low C02 levels or derive it from the KH of your water, but many of the plants we use in our aquariums are tanken from nature where they grow to the surface or out of the water and obtain C02 from the atmosphere. These plants will struggle in a tank which does not have C02 fed into it.

Very slow growing plants like Anubias, Cryps and ferns can survive or even grow without adding C02, but even these plants will grow much more robust and more quickly with elevated C02 levels.

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Originally posted by Hebdizzle
I never quite understood.
I was planning on growing a couple plants in my 10 gallon but if this expensive equiptment is needed....

thanks for the help
I have a whole tankful of plants that I am gronwing in a Non-CO2 added tank. Growth is slow but healthy - so yes, you can grow plants in such a setting.

If you are only looking at a couple of plants - just pick the right ones - I'd suggest some that have been mentioned - Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss - and they will do ok in your low light, non-co2 tank.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Atmospheric equilibrium for CO2 at sea level is close to 5ppm. Fish and bacterial CO2 production within the tank will boost this if it is not blown off.

Higher elevations - in the Rockies, etc. - will have lower equilibrium points.

Moderately lighted tanks do not, repeat do not, require 20-30ppm CO2 to be successful. High light tanks do need this supplement.

Do not accept the commonly stated or implied "fact" that you cannot have a successful planted tank without pressurized CO2.

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
In many threads I have seen people suggest that water surface disturbance drives out CO2. However, I am told the water surface disturbance is what dissolves O2 in the water, keeping the fish alive.

So, when you eliminate water surface disturbance, are you also limiting the amount of oxygen available to fish?

Also, is there a CHEAP way to add CO2 to a large tank (100 gal)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store