Are discus right for my water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
There are a number of factors which cause planted tank conditions to be less than ideal for discus, not the least of which is the type of substrate used (easy to keep squeaky clean, or not), and the lack of a stringent, religious tank cleansing routine being a larger part of the problem.
My tank has the standard small gravel, with Wisteria, leopard val, a couple swords, Dwarf Sag, and some glossostigma. I don't gravel vac because I don't want to take any nutrients away from my plants. The only cleaning I really do is WCS and pruning my plants. Algae isn't an issue and I don't over feed.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I regret to tell you that standard gravel, large or small, is one of the worst types of substrate to use with discus for the very reason that fish wastes, decomposing plant matter, uneaten fish food, and other undesirable material gets into & lodged within the gravel, which then becomes a harbour for unwanted bacteria and the development of other pathogens which can cause health problems for discus, particularly young ones with less developed immune systems.
In contrast with many other strains of hardier fish which can tolerate these conditions, discus can not generally do so.
In any planted discus tank, the substrate must be vacuumed well and regularly, to rid the tank of this material, and this should be done with each & every frequent wc. For example, in my planted discus tanks, I do 60%-70% wcs 3 X a week, and vac my pool filter sand substrate (very easy to keep squeaky clean) with each wc, along with full interior tank glass wall wipe-downs. And I set out my plants & DW in a well-planned, organized way, so that I can easily get all around them with a standard vac tool.

In a non-discus tank, waste matter can be, and often is, left to accumulate as nutrients to 'feed the plants', whereas in a discus tank, plants should ideally be fertilized with commercially prepared dry or liquid ferts.
It has been proven time & time again over years that discus generally require cleaner water and the most pristine water conditions possible -i.e. more effort, care & attention, than most other species of fish. So, if one wants to successfully keep discus, there must be a commitment made to put in that extra effort to keep them thriving and healthy. That's the reality of keeping discus.
If you stay with standard gravel, limit your wcs, and don't do any rigorous vacuuming of it, I'd wager that a number of your discus wouldn't last 6 months.
Pardon me if this sounds harsh, but it's usually the only way to keep discus successfully in a planted tank.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul

FWIW, please review the following:

D-I-S-C-U-S - 6 CARDINAL RULES FOR NEWBIES TO FOLLOW

First I'd just like to mention once again that discus are hardier than many people think, and are not difficult to keep, so long as one is prepared to accept and adhere to a few key practices that will provide the best chances of success with discus.

There is nothing new here to experienced discus-keepers in the listing of the points that follow, and even to many newcomers to discus who have at one time or another, read these simple but effective recommendations, and recognize their validity.

The problem I found however, judging by the large number of posts by discus newbies on several forums that reflect frustration, disappointment and misfortunes, is that it seems far too many novices to discus, for whatever reasons, do not pay serious attention to what they're being advised to do, or not do.

Perhaps this is because they think they may know better than the discus 'gurus'. Either that, or they don't have the time, inclination, or financial resources to do what is being suggested, and follow a different path.

Some may feel they just want to try a different approach, deviate
somewhat, try something new they feel will work for them - whatever - there are many reasons why some newbies will proceed in another direction, only to be met with failure.

Which leads me to post what might be considered to be trite, old hat, redundant, or even agonizingly repetitive commentary, but following this undernoted advice should prove to be a near guarantee that one will achieve success with discus.

This listing is recorded more or less in order of importance:

1) - D - Do your homework well before delving into discus. Read and research all you can beforehand. Googling will certainly help, as well as spending a good deal of time reading the posts and threads on the simplydiscus.com forum, particularly the stickies in their 'Discus Basics'
section, which will provide you with much of the material you need to digest.

2) - I - Investigate and learn of the best sources to get your discus stock. Find those breeders &/or importers that are long time, well-experienced, responsible, reputable, and known to supply high quality, healthy, and well-shaped discus. Buy your discus from one of these sources in order to insure that you get off on the best footing possible.
This is the single, most important factor in succeeding with discus.

3) - S - Set up and plan to follow a strict regular routine of fresh water changes, tank wipe-downs and cleansing, vacuuming of wastes, and regular filter and media cleaning, changes, replacements, and maintenance. Be fully prepared for the kind of commitment it takes to produce and maintain the highest water quality and conditions that you can.

4) - C - Carefully consider the type of tank set up you start with. Make sure the tank size is ample enough to start with 5 or 6 discus. Don't be tempted to begin with a tank of less than 55 or 60 gallons, and don't try to justify going smaller by just getting 1, 2, 3, or 4 discus for cost or other reasons.
Wait till you have sufficient resources to get a proper-sized tank, and the suitable size and number of fish to insure continuing good health and harmonious discus sociability.
Do not start with small, undersized, very juvenile fish which have not yet developed a more mature immune system, are more demanding to raise properly, and much more prone to health problems and other issues. Get fish of at least 3.0" in size, preferably larger.

5) - U - Undertake to start off with a bare bottom tank, unless you're getting fully adult fish and have previous good experience with maintaining a planted tank. If you must have some decor, limit yourself to a very thin sand substrate layer, and perhaps a piece of driftwood with just a couple of small plants attached, or one or two potted plants.
Once you gain several months' of experience getting to know your discus' traits & behavior, and your discus get larger, then you may proceed to an aquascaped environment. Feed a varied diet, several times a day, and learn which foods will achieve a nutritious diet, by researching.

6) - S - Simplify. Keep things as simple as you can to start. Don't complicate your start with discus, at least at first, by placing them in a heavily planted environment, using CO2 and a strict fertilization regime. Make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the fish, and don't be tempted to alter or change the pH of your water, or modify your water conditions and params by using chemicals of any kind. No need to use RO water or adopt any other procedures that would tend to complicate what should be a simple start to your discus launch.

Follow these 'rules', and there's little doubt you will succeed with discus !

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013

FWIW, please review the following:

D-I-S-C-U-S - 6 CARDINAL RULES FOR NEWBIES TO FOLLOW

First I'd just like to mention once again that discus are hardier than many people think, and are not difficult to keep, so long as one is prepared to accept and adhere to a few key practices that will provide the best chances of success with discus.

There is nothing new here to experienced discus-keepers in the listing of the points that follow, and even to many newcomers to discus who have at one time or another, read these simple but effective recommendations, and recognize their validity.

The problem I found however, judging by the large number of posts by discus newbies on several forums that reflect frustration, disappointment and misfortunes, is that it seems far too many novices to discus, for whatever reasons, do not pay serious attention to what they're being advised to do, or not do.

Perhaps this is because they think they may know better than the discus 'gurus'. Either that, or they don't have the time, inclination, or financial resources to do what is being suggested, and follow a different path.

Some may feel they just want to try a different approach, deviate
somewhat, try something new they feel will work for them - whatever - there are many reasons why some newbies will proceed in another direction, only to be met with failure.

Which leads me to post what might be considered to be trite, old hat, redundant, or even agonizingly repetitive commentary, but following this undernoted advice should prove to be a near guarantee that one will achieve success with discus.

This listing is recorded more or less in order of importance:

1) - D - Do your homework well before delving into discus. Read and research all you can beforehand. Googling will certainly help, as well as spending a good deal of time reading the posts and threads on the simplydiscus.com forum, particularly the stickies in their 'Discus Basics'
section, which will provide you with much of the material you need to digest.

2) - I - Investigate and learn of the best sources to get your discus stock. Find those breeders &/or importers that are long time, well-experienced, responsible, reputable, and known to supply high quality, healthy, and well-shaped discus. Buy your discus from one of these sources in order to insure that you get off on the best footing possible.
This is the single, most important factor in succeeding with discus.

3) - S - Set up and plan to follow a strict regular routine of fresh water changes, tank wipe-downs and cleansing, vacuuming of wastes, and regular filter and media cleaning, changes, replacements, and maintenance. Be fully prepared for the kind of commitment it takes to produce and maintain the highest water quality and conditions that you can.

4) - C - Carefully consider the type of tank set up you start with. Make sure the tank size is ample enough to start with 5 or 6 discus. Don't be tempted to begin with a tank of less than 55 or 60 gallons, and don't try to justify going smaller by just getting 1, 2, 3, or 4 discus for cost or other reasons.
Wait till you have sufficient resources to get a proper-sized tank, and the suitable size and number of fish to insure continuing good health and harmonious discus sociability.
Do not start with small, undersized, very juvenile fish which have not yet developed a more mature immune system, are more demanding to raise properly, and much more prone to health problems and other issues. Get fish of at least 3.0" in size, preferably larger.

5) - U - Undertake to start off with a bare bottom tank, unless you're getting fully adult fish and have previous good experience with maintaining a planted tank. If you must have some decor, limit yourself to a very thin sand substrate layer, and perhaps a piece of driftwood with just a couple of small plants attached, or one or two potted plants.
Once you gain several months' of experience getting to know your discus' traits & behavior, and your discus get larger, then you may proceed to an aquascaped environment. Feed a varied diet, several times a day, and learn which foods will achieve a nutritious diet, by researching.

6) - S - Simplify. Keep things as simple as you can to start. Don't complicate your start with discus, at least at first, by placing them in a heavily planted environment, using CO2 and a strict fertilization regime. Make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the fish, and don't be tempted to alter or change the pH of your water, or modify your water conditions and params by using chemicals of any kind. No need to use RO water or adopt any other procedures that would tend to complicate what should be a simple start to your discus launch.

Follow these 'rules', and there's little doubt you will succeed with discus !
Thank you Paul. That was very informative. Looks like I'll be waiting for a little while then. I don't have room, another tank, or the money at the moment to get more then one or two. I will still keep up researching so I am more prepared when the day comes but I think it best to wait. Better to wait then waste.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Thank you Paul. That was very informative. Looks like I'll be waiting for a little while then. I don't have room, another tank, or the money at the moment to get more then one or two. I will still keep up researching so I am more prepared when the day comes but I think it best to wait. Better to wait then waste.
Good for you.
With discus, do it the right way, it's the only way you won't be disappointed !

BTW, for those who don't know, discus are very sociable fish and do best in numbers of at least 5 or more.
But they're also cichlids, so pecking order activity (bullying) is the norm.
That's why keeping just 2, 3 or 4 is not a good idea - it's conducive to serious pecking order aggression, leading to stress & possible ill health.
With 5, 6 or more, pecking order activity is much more diluted.

One can keep just 2 together IF they're a proven mated pair.
Keeping just one discus usually makes for a very lonely camper.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:iagree: :thumbsup: :werd:!!! "T"

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Good for you.
With discus, do it the right way, it's the only way you won't be disappointed !

BTW, for those who don't know, discus are very sociable fish and do best in numbers of at least 5 or more.
But they're also cichlids, so pecking order activity (bullying) is the norm.
That's why keeping just 2, 3 or 4 is not a good idea - it's conducive to serious pecking order aggression, leading to stress & possible ill health.
With 5, 6 or more, pecking order activity is much more diluted.

One can keep just 2 together IF they're a proven mated pair.
Keeping just one discus usually makes for a very lonely camper.
So I'm okay with a bare bottom but I do want some decor. A few pieces of drift wood with plants on it would be okay right? And a 75 would be a good size? My brother has one he isn't using that he is going to give me, I just need a new top trim piece. So it's a steal. 20 for the trim and a free tank!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
6 - 8 discus in a 75 gal bare-bottom tank with a couple of pieces of driftwood with plants on them would be ideal for a discus tank, particularly when you're just starting out with discus.
(You could even safely add a thin layer of pool filter sand for substrate, if you wish.)

Just be sure to get 3" or larger discus, from a known quality source, and give them at least 2 large wcs a week. You okay with that ?
If you wish, let me know what area you're located in, and I'll give you info on some good sources for healthy, quality discus as near to your location as possible.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
I live close to Annapolis, MD. I go to a place called House of Tropicals. They are one of those hole in the wall shops, but they are very knowledgeable, most of them anyway, and they have a larger selection of supplies and fish then petsmart or petco could ever dream of. Not an advert, just a fact lol. Typically with their fish they are very healthy. I, and don't jump on me for this, don't QT fish from there because I know they take very good care of their fish and should an issue arise they would treat the tank accordingly so they can still supply quality fish. Granted these fish don't really outlive their expected lifespans so they aren't a magical fish store, but they have much cleaner, seemingly healthier tanks, than most other places. It's really like a trip to the aquarium...alright done gushing. I don't know which specific strands they carry though, back to the discus, or where they get them, so that would be worth looking into. They do have a fairly nice variety though. I think if I told them I wanted a specific strand they didn't have they could get it. I really want a snakeskin and a blue diamond.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
There are some LFS's that carry & sell good quality discus, but they are the exception rather than the rule.
Most don't. House of Tropicals MAY be one of those few rare ones that do a good job with discus.

Most don't know how to care for them properly, and really aren't concerned about that, since they're relying on getting quick sales for them. And most are on a central filtration system, exposing their discus to all the pathogens & disease in their other tanks.
But it sure wouldn't hurt to ask your LFS where/who they get their discus from, whether it be breeders or export sources in overseas countries - might give you some comfort... or not. Let me know if you wish.

Also, most LFS's only sell younger, smaller discus due to their lower pricing... but as we've already discussed, that's not the kind to buy when you're starting out with discus. Sure, a 2"- $20. discus is cheap, but it's not cheap when it doesn't survive more than a couple of weeks.

On a brighter note, if you don't want to take any chances whatsoever, and get the size & strains you really want, you have (arguably) the best, quality discus supplier in all the U.S. not far from you - Hans' Discus, in Baltimore. He's a major, very highly regarded importer/supplier of superior quality Stendker discus from Germany. He's also a long-time sponsor on the simplydiscus.com forum, where you can look him up, or google for his website, and have a look at his discus gallery. You can't go wrong buying from Hans.
Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store