Are Dwarf Gouramis Nocturnal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PicoPleco

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2017
I've recently brought home a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami and I've noticed that when the lights are on, he'll be on the bottom of the tank, but soon as it's dark, up he goes to the surface. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I wouldn't say that is normal behaviour. Can you provide some more details of the tank?
What are the other fish you have?
Tank size?
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
Last water change?

PicoPleco

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2017
I wouldn't say that is normal behaviour. Can you provide some more details of the tank?
What are the other fish you have?
Tank size?
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
Last water change?
I have a 40 gal (long) and so far there are only a clown pleco and the neon blue gourami. I don't remember what the parameters were from the last time I checked, and the last water change was about a week ago and was only a 25%.
I've had the Pleco for around a month and the gourami I had just added in today.
I had also got a new filter for the tank as the old one had malfunctioned.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
He may have just been getting used to the tank, hiding out when the lights were on and getting bolder in the cover of darkness.
If the water is good he should come out more very soon.

Did you seed the new filter with some old media? Do you have plants?
It never hurts to at least do an ammonia test.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
That all sounds good, so it's likely not a problem with water, which sometimes odd behaviour can be due to.
I would suggest adding more cover for him if he seems to he hiding.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd say yes, this is normal behavior for a fish that's not comfortable in it's environments, as it's instinctive. Lights on mean day time predators from above. Lights out means nocturnal predators from below. Make sure to provide lots of cover--gouramies like broad leaf plants to hide under, as well as build bubble nests to breed. Most will take a while to get comfortable, and even then, are seldom the most out going of fish. The more cover available, the most relaxed and outgoing the fish will be.

Fishtankdude

AC Members
Feb 14, 2016
When I got my dwarf gouramis he was very shy, and his color was not very bold. After 3 or 4 weeks his colors brightened up and he became much more social.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store