Are fish "pets"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
It's funny how irrational the whole thing can be. The seahorses seem a whole lot more like pets to me, because of the way they look and move, but they are probably dumber than the clownfish or cichlids.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
to some extint yes. some you can train and with some like a mudskipper even hold and pet. but then thnere are the untamables. almost every chiclid becomes a pet, the rest is in the individual

ceatwood

New Dad! Picture overload ahead!
Jan 17, 2006
Shakopee, Minnesota
mogurnda said:
It's funny how irrational the whole thing can be. The seahorses seem a whole lot more like pets to me, because of the way they look and move, but they are probably dumber than the clownfish or cichlids.
I think that's it in a nutshell, how much do we put into our fish and how much do we get out? An oscar would probably been seen as more of a pet beacsue of how much they give back to the owner just by begging versus a neon tetra. Additionall the owner of the oscar who is entranced with the oscar behavior is going to put more into the relationship adn feel more about the fish rather than someone who keeps a tank as a decoration. How much you put in is how much you get out usually. And for those who choke up thinking about their tetra's, nothing at all wrong with that.

valleyvampiress

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
I think it is different for each individual person and their perception.

Mine is I consider them pets. However, some I grow more fond of than others. It is always the ones that have the best personalities, and this doesn't just include bigger fish for me. One of my first fish, a platy named Nippy was my all time favorite fish because he had the coolest personality. I still miss him. On the other hand, I have another platy who doesn't really seem to have a distinct personality. I consider her an average pet with a name and little personality.

It just depends on the fish and personality to me.

DirkW

7 Kids, 4 Tanks, 2 Birds
Oct 28, 2005
Southeastern Virginia
OK, I'm going to get technical here. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, the definition of a pet is: "An animal kept for amusement or companionship." I don't think too many people consider their fish a companion, but I'd say most fish are kept for their entertainment value.

I take issue with the term amusement. It comes from an Old French word amuser, which is to stare stupidly. It's opposite of the word muse, which is to think deeply or to meditate. I prefer to muse on my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store