Are my tigershovelnosecatfish actully tsn??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Hello all. A few months ago I bought what the local fish store called a tiger shovelnose for 35 dollars. It was 3'' then and its 7'' now. It is brown with spots instead of stripes and it is dark. The spots go from the fins to the tail and as long as the sides of the body. It does sort of have a shovelnose. Then today I bought another 3''er who looks the same but has both stripes and spots. What do you think?? Are they actully tsn?? If you have one that sounds like my descripiton please share some pics. I will get some pics hopefully by the weekend.
I am really hoping that they are tsns... they eat shrimp like pigs.
I was told by the lfs that once they hit 12'' they will get the stripes, what do you think??
Pics below.. sorry for crappy pics

Cardinale pics 3 035.jpg Cardinale pics 3 034.jpg Cardinale pics 3 041.jpg

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
The markings/patterns can be quite variable among individual fish. It's also possible that one is a different species; they aren't captive-bred fish, and it's hard to say what may have turned up in some fisherman's net. In any case, time will tell as it matures.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
Looks almost like its a tiger /marble pim cross or a four line pim, with the head structure and eye placement. Altough never herd of those croses before but....

MYname

AC Members
Mar 28, 2010
canada
you can tell by how thick the body is and how round and pncaked the head is that you dont have the usual tsn
i saw on a website something he called a tiger red tail cross
the guy explained that it wasnt actually a cross between the two but a totaly different catfish that looks alot like what you have
ide post a link if i remembered the website but i think if you google shovelnose its one of the first few

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
The spots on the tail do look line a TSN/RTC cross, though I've only seen smaller ones at the lfs.

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
This is not a rtcxtsn mix... guys I have kept many in the past. Piced below is a rtcxtsn..
I am gonig to google the both pim mixes and see what I come up with.... i am hoping and praying these are true tsns.

Cardinale pictures 176.jpg

MYname

AC Members
Mar 28, 2010
canada
oh what i ment to say was they ordered a shipment tsn/rt mix but ended up with something like yours

oops

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
that sure don't look like my tsn interesting cat you got

what size tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store