Are the cichilds for sale that are labeled assorted african cichlids hybred?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
What should i look for in a yellow lab compared to others. What kind could the other be? If i accidently get one thats not a lab, what would i expect to see as far as personality and aggression compared to a yellow lab? Sorry for the questions. Does the lab have the black on top and bottom, or do others also? thanks.

Last edited:

Not2Evil

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
Where to buy?

Try www.aquabid.com. It's the ebay of the aquarium world. Pay close attention to who is selling what and the shipping costs. Sometimes you can find a starter pack of different kinds without having to buy 6 or more of the same kind.

I had real good luck buying petricola catfish from a breeder on that site. $35 delivered to my door for 7 little (1.5inch ) fish.

Good Luck.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
What should i look for in a yellow lab compared to others. What kind could the other be?.....Does the lab have the black on top and bottom, or do others also? thanks.
In regards to identifying yellow labs, they have a uniquely shaped and relatively small mouth, and, to some extent, distinct head shape:

Physical structure and expected colors of a particular species should both be taken into account. Otherwise, if going by color/patterns alone, any yellow black finned cichlid may be mistaken for a yellow lab.

As a very rough example, here's one of my male msobo's during the early stages of his color transition, obviously not a yellow lab (or genuinely yellow for that matter, at least at the time the pic was taken). The untrained eye might mistake him for one: (sort of fits the 'yellowish with black fin markings' description):

If this fish were as yellow as the first pic, physical structure would disqualify it as a yellow lab.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store