Are there small cichlids suitable for 5 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
You are loaded with information. Which one would you recommend for a 5 gallon. I realize that the dario are smaller but it also sounds like they are more difficult to breed. While breeding is not necessarily a target it is always interesting side effect to having fishes; esp if the parents will tend to the frys.
I wouldn't go smaller than a ten gallon for breeding any of the Badis species. If the female doesn't have enough room to get away from the male then he won't leave her alone after breeding. A ten is long enough to allow that, I'd be afraid a five might not. I kept my Indian blue badis colony in a well planted 55 with rasboras and danios. The territories for the males don't have to be especially large, as long is there's a cave for each and something breaking up the line of sight. I've seen small groups of scarlet badis in a decentIy planted five gallon. I would think the same would hold for any of the Dario species.

You are loaded with information.
Thank you. I try to know everything and anything I can about any fish I plan to keep or that I am keeping. Beyond that, I also try to learn as much as I can about families, subfamilies and genera of fish. I always have room in a tank or two, and I never know when I might come across something I've never seen before. If I'm already well-informed and knowledgeable of general requirements and care for the family or genera in general, then I know whether I can keep the fish properly and healthily if I buy it as an impulse purchase. I started this years ago, and I bet I've read the Baensch Aquarium Atlases a half dozen times. True, these days you have immediate access to the internet, with smart phones and such, but you can never be 100% sure that what you come across in a quick search is completely accurate. And you can't always rely on the pet store employees. Anyways, I really enjoyed taxonomy, genetics and ecology classes in college (I have a Bachelors in Zoology/Physiology, with a focus on fisheries management) and this hobby allows me to use my degree as I indulge in my hobby.

I've always had a fascination, almost obsession, with animals in general, but especially the "lower" vertebrates. Basically the scaly things. My dad had a few tanks when I was young. When I was twoish, according to my mom, she was cooking dinner and I came in to the kitchen holding my hand out saying "fish, fish, fish". I had picked up a guppy that had jumped out of a tank and was showing her. Add the fact that I'm a Pisces, I guess I was destined to be a fish guy. :)

WYite

Last edited:
Reactions: jake72

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Ok thanks. No dario/badis. Maybe a pair of peacock gudgeon. What i really need is something like micro angels; fishes that pair so both parents won't be aggressive torwards each other in the 5.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Ok thanks. No dario/badis. Maybe a pair of peacock gudgeon. What i really need is something like micro angels; fishes that pair so both parents won't be aggressive torwards each other in the 5.
Sorry, I guess got too wordy. Any of the Dario species, like the scarlet badis Dario dario, would be fine as a small group of 4 or 5 larger in a five gallon. None of the larger Badis species should be kept in less than a 10 gallon, IMO and based on my experiences.

WYite

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Thanks. Sorry I misread. Ok so i have to decide if i want to raise bbs the rest of my life er their life. I still might try the peacock. I'm waiting to see what happen with the sterbai fry; most of the eggs fungus. I saw 3 or 4 frys but can't find them now so will check again tomorrow. They were still eating egg sack. On the bright side my cherry shrimps are as large as the embers now... and yes the tank has too many hiding spots. Frequently i can loose one of the embers and think for sure it is dead only to have it show up the next day.

Sorry, I guess got too wordy. Any of the Dario species, like the scarlet badis Dario dario, would be fine as a small group of 4 or 5 larger in a five gallon. None of the larger Badis species should be kept in less than a 10 gallon, IMO and based on my experiences.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store